Commons:Upload Wizard feedback

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

Share your feedback
Report bugs
Your feedback about the Upload Wizard

This page is a place for you to tell the Wikimedia developers what issues you encounter when using the Upload Wizard interface. However, this page is not frequented by Wikimedia Foundation staff.

Add a new comment

Other important resources:

To resolve issues, it helps us to have exact steps to reproduce. Please also read the Questions and Answers page and check the archives.

Archives (older archive dates indicate date of initial comments and may span several months; newer archives span one month per archive and are generated by MiszaBot):

With WP Visual Editor[edit]

The Wizard was introduced back in the day when the source editor was almost the only way to write WP. Lately I've been teaching newbies who already have a camera and pictures. They get somewhat confused because the Wizard says to paste the complete picture link into the editor, and VisEd expects search terms. Will either the uploader or the editor be adjusted to fit more simply? Jim.henderson (talk) 21:28, 29 October 2016 (UTC)

@Jim.henderson: If you paste wikitext like [[File:Example.jpg|thumb|Example image]] into VisualEditor (which is what UploadWizard shows), it will be recognized and turned into an image. You can also paste the full file name or URL into the "Media settings" search field to find an image. Matma Rex (talk) 12:42, 31 October 2016 (UTC)

UploadWizard not letting me select custom license[edit]

For the past couple of days, UploadWizard has been acting fairly strange when I try to insert a custom license. For example, I recently uploaded two images from Mike Pence's House website with UploadWizard. I tried to enter {{PD-USGov-Congress}}, but regardless of what was entered it displayed the message, "You selected an option which requires you to enter wikitext" and did not let me continue with the upload, even though PD-USGov-Congress is a widely used and completely valid license. I ended up having to select PD-USGov from the drop-down menu, and after that it let me proceed. MB298 (talk) 02:18, 16 November 2016 (UTC)

@MB298: I can't reproduce this problem. I did find that the code to display the errors was buggy (it wouldn't update them if you e.g. right-clicked and used the context menu to paste; patch:, but clicking "Next" (even if an error was being displayed) would re-check everything correctly and allow you to continue. Is there something I could do to reliably see this issue happen? Matma Rex (talk) 13:54, 16 November 2016 (UTC)


Not sure how the heck of the day before yesterday Rio de Mon iPhone Android — Preceding unsigned comment added by Theonlyson (talk • contribs) 11:39, 08 December 2016 (UTC)

Multilingual & description fields[edit]

Hi, As I am active in multiple languages and live in an area where multiple languages are used, I like to have the upload wizard show always 3 description fields in these preferred languages. Is there some code for my .js or .css to get this done somehow. It was possible in the older upload tool. Thanks! Romaine (talk) 01:13, 9 December 2016 (UTC)

@Romaine: I just wrote a small, slightly hacky script to do this. You can paste the following into your common.js page (customize the languages at the top). If you ever run into problems with UploadWizard, please remember than you're using this, it depends on some internal functions that may some day change (although unlikely to happen soon). Matma Rex (talk) 23:14, 9 December 2016 (UTC)
( function () {
	// Display multiple empty descriptions by default in UploadWizard, not just one.

	// Customize these to your liking
	var myLanguages = [ 'nl', 'en', 'de' ];

	// If this is Special:UploadWizard
	if ( mw.config.get( 'wgCanonicalSpecialPageName' ) === 'UploadWizard' ) {
		// Wait for UploadWizard to load
		mw.loader.using( 'ext.uploadWizard' ).done( function () {
			// Override the function which normally prefills descriptions from image metadata
			var prefillDescription = mw.UploadWizardDetails.prototype.prefillDescription;
			mw.UploadWizardDetails.prototype.prefillDescription = function () {
				// Call overridden function this, arguments );
				// Get the prefilled descriptions, if any
				var data = this.descriptionsDetails.getSerialized();
				for ( var i = 0; i < myLanguages.length; i++ ) {
					if ( data.descriptions[ i ] ) {
						// Change the language if this description already exists
						data.descriptions[ i ].language = myLanguages[ i ];
					} else {
						// Add empty descriptions in remaining languages
						data.descriptions.push( {
							language: myLanguages[ i ],
							description: ''
						} );
				// Set updated descriptions
				this.descriptionsDetails.setSerialized( data );
		} );

} )();
Matma Rex (talk) 23:14, 9 December 2016 (UTC)
Hi Matma Rex, Thanks! Romaine (talk) 01:01, 12 December 2016 (UTC)