Commons:Voice intro project
A project to make audio recordings in which Wikipedia subjects speak their name and introduce themselves, in response to a blog post, "Requesting open-licensed, open-format recordings of the voices of Wikipedia subjects for Wikimedia Commons" by Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing).
So that we know how a notable person pronounce their own names and what they sound like. The sound of their voice can be helpful, for example:
- as a way of identifying a person for people that have a vision impairment
- to confirm a person's identity, if you've heard them on, say, the radio
- to distinguish them from someone else with the same name
The pronunciation is useful:
- if you are about to meet them
- if you are about to mention them in a presentation or on air
In fact, you’d have the canonical pronunciation of their name: their own.
What to do
If you are the subject of a Wikipedia article, please upload a FLAC or ogg audio recording of your own, normal speaking voice.
If you're a Wikimedian working with notable people, you can do that for them.
If you are (or your subject is) fluent in more than one language, please record a separate file in each.
I can't do that
If you can't make a FLAC or ogg file (or don't know what that means) you can e-mail us the wav or mp3 and release it under an open licence. If the file is too big to be e-mailed, you can use file sharing or sound hosting services like Audioboo, SoundCloud or Vocaroo. We'll do the conversion for you. You're welcome to drop a note on this page's talk page if you have questions or need help.
What to say
Typically people say:
“Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place] and I have been [job or position] since [year]”
You're welcome to say more!
Listen to some of the examples, in the project's English-language category.
What not to say
- Don't mention that you're making a recording for Wikipedia/Wikipedia Commons
- No advertising, pitching for work, advocacy, proselytizing or politics.
- Add a link to the recording, from the subject's page on Wikidata, using P990, with a qualifier specifying the language used.
- Transcribe the recording, as Timed Text captions.
Files are sorted into categories, by language. See a list of categories, at Category:Voice intro project.