Commons:Walters Art Museum/Wikidata
|Main||Categorization||Metadata Cleanup||Metadata feedback|
The metadata for some of the paintings in the collection of the Walters Art Museum have been imported to Wikidata.
Wikidata is the newest project of Wikimedia. Wikidata is a free linked database that can be read and edited by both humans and machines. Wikidata acts as central storage for the structured data of its Wikimedia sister projects including Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wikisource, and others. On Wikidata we started the project sum of all paintings with the goal to get an item for every painting in the collection of a museum.
The metadata for about half of the Walters paintings have been harvested from Commons and put on Wikidata. This has been done so developers can use the data at the ArtBytes 3 Hackathon at the Walters Museum. Only paintings have been imported because not all objects in the collection of the Walters might be in scope.
Using the data
The data is accessible in different ways and already viewable in some prototypes:
- items that link to the Walters - Just a raw list
- Walters in reasonator - The structured data in a prettier format. Includes a gallery
- paintings in autolist - Tool to query Wikidata and do automatic editing. Syntax is the same as Wikidata Query
- paintings in Crotos - Gives you a nice gallery and options to filter
- Raw data from Wikidata Query - Query interface to Wikidata (api documentation).
- sum.bykr.org - another interface to Wikidata (source)
(feel free to add more examples or links to source)