Commons:WikiProject Museums/Images naming
Image names should be as descriptive and relevant as possible, following upload guidelines. For museum items, reaching this goal can be achieved by providing such necessary informations as:
- Keywords describing the work:
- Author (if known/relevant),
- Title or name (if any),
- Type of work (if no title/author),
- Subject (if no title/author),
- Date of work (in case of ambiguity);
- Name of the museum (follow the category name as much as possible);
- Accession number (if known, should always be mentioned; could be concatenated to avoid confusion);
- Version information (when several versions of the same work are taken, a numbering—n1, n2—, a photograph date—2016-02-8—or any detail name—front, arm—could be used).
Further informations could be added, but remember to keep image names short and useful for everybody.