Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2017
Wiki Loves Earth 2017 is an international photographic competition that will take place – with the subject natural heritage (protected areas) – in various countries. For all participating countries there are separate competitions organized by local teams, so periods, rules, prizes etc. might differ a bit.
The basic aim of the competition is to collect photos of natural heritage sites – such as nature reserves, landscape conservation areas, national parks, scenic/landscape areas, remarkable gardens, etc. – to illustrate articles in the worldwide free encyclopedia Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects. Like Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM), we use official lists of protected areas, usually available from government agencies.
The focus is not only on sites of national importance, but also on those protected at the regional level, and on the widest variety of natural sites possible: forests, parks, gardens, rocks, caves, or whatever part of nature is protected in your country. This means that most users will be able to find several natural heritage sites close to them.
Participating countries 2017
If you want to take part in the contest as a photographer, please, go to the page of your country in the list below.
If your country is not in the list and you would like to organise local contest, go down the page.
|Country||Commons landing page||Contest period||Page for questions||Notes||Lists of protected areas/objects||Campaign||Uploads|
|WLE Algeria||– (UTC+1)||ask here||WLE 2017 lists||wle-dz||311|
|WLE Azerbaijan||– (UTC+4)||ask here||List of protected natural sites||wle-az||303|
|WLE Australia||(UTC+10) – (UTC+8)||ask here||List of protected areas||wle-au||990|
|WLE Bangladesh||– (UTC+6)||Help desk or contacts||wikiloves.org/earth,||List of protected natural sites||wle-bd||1,179|
|WLE Biosphere Reserves||– (UTC+1)||WLE 2017 lists||0|
|WLE Bulgaria||– (UTC+3)||ask your question here, or send us an e-mail||List of protected areas||wle-bg||0|
|WLE Brazil||(UTC-3) – (UTC-5)||ask your question here, or send us an e-mail rodrigopadulagmail.com,||Wiki Loves Earth Brasil 2017||wle-br||4,225|
|WLE Cameroon||– (GMT+1)||contact us on georges_fodouopyahoo.fr||wle-cm||0|
|WLE Canada||(UTC-2:30) – (UTC-7)||Contact||Wiki Loves Earth 2017 in Canada||wle-ca||0|
|WLE China||– (UTC+8)||Ask your questions here||wle-cn||0|
|WLE Croatia||(UTC+10) – (UTC+2)||ask here or contact us on hrvojebjgmail.com||List of protected areas of Croatia||wle-hr||0|
|WLE Egypt||– (UTC+2)||Contact us on our here||wle-eg||969|
|WLE France||– (UTC+2)||contacts||wikilovesearth.fr,||List of protected areas||wle-fr||934|
|WLE Georgia||– (UTC+4)||Contacts||List of protected areas||wle-ge||0|
|WLE Germany||– (UTC+2)||Contact us on our discussion page or find us on Facebook||Wiki Loves Earth 2017/Deutschland||Protected areas||per federal state: wle-de-bb, -be, -bw, -by, -hb, -he, -hh, -mv, -ni, -nw, -rp, -sh, -sl, -sn, -st, -th||18,519|
|WLE Greece||– (UTC+3)||Contact us on our talk page or at firstname.lastname@example.org||wle.wikimedia.gr||List of protected areas||wle-gr||1,612|
|WLE India||– (UTC+5.30)||Ask your questions here||More info about how the project will be executed in India will be posted on this page consecutively.||wle-in||0|
|WLE Indonesia||– (UTC+5.30)||Contact||Wiki Cinta Alam Indonesia||wle-id||3|
|WLE Iraq||– (UTC+3)||ask here||wle-iq||510|
|WLE Latvia||– (UTC+3)||Contact us on our discussion page||wle-lv||219|
|WLE Libya||– (UTC+2)||Ask your questions here||wle-ly||159|
|WLE Moldova||– (UTC+3)||ask your question here, or find us on Facebook||List of monuments (Romanian)
(also in Russian and Ukrainian)
|WLE Morocco||– (UTC+1)||Ask your questions on our discussion page or find us on Facebook||More info about how the project will be executed in Morocco will be posted on this page consecutively.||wle-ma||682|
|WLE Nepal||– (UTC+5:45)||ask here||Natural Monuments in Nepal||wle-np||2,632|
|WLE Nigeria||– (GMT+1)||contact us on email@example.com or olaniyanshola15gmail.com||wle-ng||0|
|WLE Norway||– (UTC+2)||Ask your questions here||More info about how the project will be executed in Norway will be posted on this page consecutively. Map of protected nature||wle-no||91|
|WLE Pakistan||– (UTC+5)||User:Saqib||wle-pk||6,655|
|WLE Russia||– (UTC+3)||ask your question here, or send us an e-mail||wikivoyage.ru||Lists of objects (списки)||wle-ru||4,651|
|WLE Serbia||– (UTC+2)||Ask your questions here||wle.wikimedia.rs||List of objects||wle-rs||582|
|WLE South Korea||– (UTC+9)||Ask your questions here||List of protected areas||wle-kr||443|
|WLE Spain||– (UTC+2)||ask your question here||www.wikilovesearth.es||Lists of objects||wle-es||1,198|
|WLE Sweden||– (UTC+2)||ask your question here||www.wikilovesearth.se||TBD||wle-se||0|
|WLE Switzerland||– (UTC+2)||ask your question here||TBD||TBD||wle-ch||0|
|WLE Taiwan||– (UTC+8)||Ask your questions here||wle-tw||0|
|WLE Thailand||– (UTC+7)||Ask your questions here||List of national parks in Thailand||wle-th||0|
|WLE Tunisia||– (UTC+1)||Ask your questions here||More info about how the project will be executed in Tunisia will be posted on this page consecutively.||wle-tn||156|
|WLE Ukraine||– (UTC+3)||firstname.lastname@example.org||wikilovesearth.org.ua,||Списки||wle-ua||6,966|
- 1 – 31 May and 1 – 30 June: national competitions
- 31 July: deadline for submissions, e.g. to the Winners page
- 15 September: deadline for the international results
- The set of rules for the international part of the contest.
Help and FAQ
Organise local contest
If you decide to hold Wiki Loves Earth in your country you need to complete the required steps:
- Have or create a list of relevant protected areas (on Wikipedia or Commons). – Different countries have different systems with multiple levels of protected areas (from large National Parks to individual protected trees in the middle of nowhere). All these objects are usually defined by official documents. If there isn't any such list for your country, you can create a public list of areas worth to be called natural heritage site.
- Have or create clear recommendations for photos. – Define, what aspects photographers should focus on.
- Have a working organization team, and name the responsible contact, e.g. by a list of helping users.
- Organize a good jury for your country. At an early stage, please also think about possible prizes for winners.
- Create the landing page on Commons for your country (
Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2017 in …), and take care for categories, templates etc. (Later on, you might need to ask other users for technical help e.g. for specific campaign adaptions.)
- More about organising see on Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2017/Organise
Where to ask questions?
The primary place for questions or suggestions is the WLE 2017 talk page (English language preferred). For country specific issues, please use the contact pages linked in the above section "participating countries" (different languages).
Other places to get help:
- wikilovesearthlists.wikimedia.org (subscribe)
- #wikilovesearth webchat
- comments on the wikilovesearth.org website
- Watchlist – list of latest uploaded images and a table with number of uploaded images per country.
- Wiki Loves Competitions Tools – a graphic and a table with number of uploaded images per country, number of used images, number of uploaders and number of uploaders registered after competition start.
- Uploaders in Cat – a tool, which counts the number of uploaders in a Commons category (e.g. WLE 2015 in Bulgaria) and outputs a list with the number of uploaded images per uploader.
- Unused files – a tool, which compiles a list of images in a category, which have not been used on any or a certain project.