Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2017/banners
Wikivoyage, the free travel guide, uses page banners that accommodate table of contents in the beginning of each article. The banners are panoramic images with the 7:1 aspect ratio, like the one that you see at the top of this page. They depict famous attractions or typical landscape of a destination and can be easily cropped from WLE photos. Last year the banner competition was organized as a satellite event to WLE in Russia and received 88 beautiful page banners. Many of them are now used in Wikivoyage travel guides across 16 different language versions.
This year we invite you to contribute page banners from all over the world. It is simple:
- Crop your WLE photo such that it has the 7:1 aspect ratio
- Upload the cropped file here. Don't forget a short description!
- Add your banner to a Wikivoyage article that does not have its banner yet. To this end, add the name of your file to P948 of the corresponding Wikidata item. NB! When the banner already exists, you are not allowed to replace it and have to seek consensus of the community first. We will do this ourselves for those banners that we deem valuable. We will also do our best to accommodate all useful page banners uploaded during the contest.
At the end of the contest, each jury member will select his/her favorite banners based on the artistic value and on how well the banner conveys the destination it is used for. For each banner selected by each jury member, its author will receive 1 point, or 5 points when the banner is used in Wikivoyage articles. The winner, who will score the most points, will be awarded with a gorgeous photo book of Russian nature.
Geography: this contest covers all destinations outside Russia. If you want to contribute page banner for a Russian destination, use a different upload link and take part in the banner competition within WLE in Russia.
Check out page banners uploaded for the contest!
Сropping page banners from panoramic photos is easy, but we also invite you to be creative and explore other options. Page banner is not necessarily a panorama. It can be anything appealing, meaningful, and related to WLE. Check the banners below and use your imagination:
Old stone cross in Pskov Oblast, Russia
Tulips of South Holland
Gator in Acadiana, LA, United States
73 banners uploaded for the contest were graded by the jury. Each jury member could choose 10 banners. Final score is based on the number of jury votes and on the banner usage:
- 5 points for banners used in Wikivoyage travel guides
- 3 points for banners used in meta-pages
- 1 point for unused banners
For example, a banner voted by 3 jury members and used in a Wikivoyage travel guide scored 15 points.
- N 3 14 15 92 65 — 78 points
- Lion10~commonswiki — 50 points
- ChristinaBorowsky — 20 points
- Inkey — 15 points
- AlixSaz — 14 points
- Екатерина Борисова — 10 points
- Discasto — 6 points
- Kathy2408 — 5 points
Congratulations to N 3 14 15 92 65 on winning the contest! Thanks to all uploaders!
See also the full jury report
- Note that the German and the Romanian Wikivoyage do not use banners.