Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2018/banners/en
|Language:||English • English • русский|
Photos from Wiki Loves Earth can be used in different contexts. Wikivoyage, the free travel guide, invites you to convert your photos into banner images like the one that you see at the top of this page. Every travel guide at Wikivoyage contains the so-called page banner, a wide image accommodating the title of the page and its table of contents. The idea behind is to introduce the travel destination in a visual and attractive form (example). The banners depict panoramic views and typical landscapes of a travel destination. Page banners can be easily cropped from the Wiki Loves Earth photos.
The banner competition was part of Wiki Loves Earth 2018. Submissions were accepted between May and July 31, 2018.
Each jury member has chosen 20 banners. Final score is based on the number of jury votes and on the banner usage:
- 5 points for banners used in Wikivoyage travel guides
- 3 points for banners used in meta-pages
- 1 point for unused banners
For example, a banner voted by 3 jury members and used in a Wikivoyage travel guide (at least in one language version of Wikivoyage) scored 15 points.
- Aysa t — 145 points
- Amfeli — 92 points
- Rost.galis — 49 points
- Walther Wer — 30 points
- Екатерина Борисова — 28 points
- SunTW — 22 points
- Leonhard Lenz — 16 points
- NiaPol — 14 points
- Ele-chudinovsk — 13 points
- Александр Новиков — 12 points
Other participants scored less than 10 points.
Given the large number of the submissions from Russia, the jury chose to award two prizes:
Congratulations to the winners! We would also like to thank all the participants for their interest in Wikivoyage!
One banner scored 8 jury votes out of 8:
|Manpupuner rock formations,|
Komi Republic, Russia
The following banners scored 6 jury votes out of 8:
by Walther Wer
|Las Médulas gold-mining site,|
|Volcanoes in South Kamchatka,|
See also the full jury report
Rules and guidelines
We invite you to contribute page banners for Wikivoyage as part of Wiki Loves Earth 2018. It is simple:
- Crop your WLE photo such that it has the 7:1 aspect ratio and at least 1800px along the horizontal direction
- Upload the cropped file here. Please, add a short description so that we know what travel destination it is!
- If you like, propose your banner on a talk page of a Wikivoyage travel guide. Local community will then decide on its usage.
We would also be grateful if you name your files as Destination_banner-XXX.jpg, where XXX can be any description that distinguishes different page banners of the same destination.
General rules of Wiki Loves Earth apply. Your banners should be:
- Self taken and self uploaded;
- Uploaded in May-July 2018. The banner contest runs for 3 months, you can also upload banners after WLE in your country is over;
- Freely licensed;
- Contain an identified protected area
Note that you can create the banners using photos of protected areas all over the world, including those countries that do not take part in WLE-2018.
Page banners will be graded by a jury composed of active Wikivoyagers. Each jury member will select his/her favorite banners based on several criteria, including the artistic value and appropriateness for Wikivoyage. For each vote of a jury member, the author of the banner will score 1 point, or 3 points when the banner is used in a meta-page, or 5 points when the banner is used in a Wikivoyage travel guide. The winner, who will score the most points, will be awarded with a travel guide of his choice to encourage future travels and taking new shots around the globe.