Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2020
Wiki Loves Earth 2020
Rules and FAQ
Wiki Loves Earth (WLE) is an annual international photographic competition held throughout May and June, organized worldwide by Wikimedia chapters, groups and local Wikipedia volunteers. Participants take pictures of local natural heritage and scenic landscape in their countries and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. For all participating countries there are separate competitions organized by local teams, so periods, rules, prizes etc. might differ a bit.
The basic aim of the competition is to collect photos of natural heritage sites – such as nature reserves, landscape conservation areas, national parks, scenic/landscape areas, remarkable gardens, etc. – to illustrate articles in the worldwide free encyclopedia Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects.
The focus is not only on sites of national importance, but also on those protected at the regional level, and on the widest variety of natural sites possible: forests, parks, gardens, rocks, caves, or whatever part of nature is protected in your country. This means that most users will be able to find several natural heritage sites close to them.
- Tentative timeline
- May 1 – July 31: national competitions. See specific timeline for each country.
- End of August: deadline for submissions, e.g. to the Winners page
- October-November: deadline for the international results
- Rules for the international part are published here. Local contests might have their own rules, nominations, deadlines etc.
- ::UPD: Due to the pandemic, it is not certain when the next Wikimania will take place. Therefore an Amazon voucher is the prize for the 1st place winner.
- 1st place winner will get a full scholarship to Wikimania 2021 or an Amazon voucher for the same value, other international prizes are Amazon vouchers (the value depends on the participant's place), and there are also prizes per country. Local teams might have prizes for winners in the local rounds.
- Uploaded images
- See all the pictures uploaded so far.
- How to participate
- For local organizers: visit Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2020/Organise.
- For participants: visit Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2020/Participating countries.
- Official website
- Press mentions
Disclaimer:This contest is largely organized by volunteers, and the organizers reserve the right to modify these rules or to cancel the contest at their sole discretion, even after it has started. The organizers accept no responsibility for the provision by the sponsors of any prizes, nor of any liability whatsoever in respect of this contest. Neither the rules nor anything on these pages amounts to an offer to create legally binding relations with any of the organizers. Members of the jury are not eligible to receive any award (although they are otherwise welcome to contribute images).