Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2022
|Wiki Loves Earth|
Wiki Loves Earth (WLE) is an annual international photographic competition held throughout May and July, organized worldwide by Wikimedia chapters, groups and local Wikipedia volunteers. Participants take pictures of local natural heritage and scenic landscape in their countries and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. For all participating countries there are separate competitions organized by local teams, so periods, rules, prizes etc. might differ a bit.
The basic aim of the competition is to collect photos of natural heritage sites – such as nature reserves, landscape conservation areas, national parks, scenic/landscape areas, remarkable gardens, etc. – to illustrate articles in the worldwide free encyclopedia Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects.
The focus is not only on sites of national importance, but also on those protected at the regional level, and on the widest variety of natural sites possible: forests, parks, gardens, rocks, caves, or whatever part of nature is protected in your country. This means that most users will be able to find several natural heritage sites close to them.
This year, the international winning photos will represent two categories — landscapes (including individual trees, if it's a nature monument) and macro/close-up (animals, plants, fungi):
- the international jury will choose up to 20 photos, not more than 10 photos from each category.
- on the local level, there are up to 15 winners with not more than 10 from each category. Local organizers can choose not to divide local winners into categories and/or can submit fewer photos (such as 10).
- Tentative timeline
- May 1 – July 31 and dates close to this timeline suitable for countries' national competitions. See specific timeline for each country.
- End of August: deadline for submissions, e.g. to the Winners page
- October-November: deadline for the international results
- Rules for the international part are published here. Local contests might have their own rules, nominations, deadlines etc.
- Winners will receive vouchers for Amazon or other online shops; the value depends on the participant's place.
- Local teams might have prizes for winners in the local rounds.
- Uploaded images
- See all the pictures uploaded so far.
- How to participate
- For local organizers: visit Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2022/Organise.
- For participants: visit Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2022/Participating countries.
- Official website
- Press mentions
Disclaimer: This contest is largely organized by volunteers, and the organizers reserve the right to modify these rules or to cancel the contest at their sole discretion, even after it has started. The organizers accept no responsibility for the provision by the sponsors of any prizes, nor of any liability whatsoever in respect of this contest. Neither the rules nor anything on these pages amounts to an offer to create legally binding relations with any of the organizers. Members of the jury are not eligible to receive any award (although they are otherwise welcome to contribute images).