Commons:Wiki Loves Earth 2022/Human rights and environment
In 2022, Wiki Loves Earth international photo contest supports the initiative Wiki4HumanRights that partners with the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). Its goal is to raise awareness of nature protection and human impacts on nature.
WLE international will have a special global nomination “Human rights and environment” that would bring an additional impact we can create within the competition. We will gather and evaluate photos on the following topics:
- Global warming (changes to weather, waterways, or human experiences of natural spaces because of global warming change in landscapes or ecosystems because of human impact)
- Biodiversity loss or signs of animals or plants under stress from changes to the environment
- Destruction by extractive industries (i.e. mining) and pollution
- Disappearing landscapes, fragmentation of ecosystems
- Humans negatively impacted by the destruction of nature or advocating for protecting nature, experiencing environmental changes in ways that affect their health or wellness (for inspiration see w:en:Right to a healthy environment)
Please, note that for the general Wiki Loves Earth photo contest we accept only photos containing an identified natural monument / natural park / protected area etc. As an exception, for the Human rights and Environment special nomination, we can accept photos taken not in the protected areas. However, participants are required to provide a clear description of their pictures explaining their relevance for the nomination. Links to Wikipedia or external sources can be provided if necessary.
- How the photos will be evaluated?
We'll choose a winner of this nomination on the international level without local evaluation.
More details about jury members, experts in these topics, will be added here:
Note: Human rights topics and topics like environmental destruction may include risk for the photographer or individuals pictured in the photography. Please be sensitive to the potential risks for your photographed subjects, and do not enter areas or spaces that might endanger yourself.
The list of countries which local competitions that have the option to add your submission to this global special nomination will be updated here:
|№||Country||Commons landing page||Contest period||Page for questions||Sites/Pages||Lists of protected areas/objects||Campaign||Uploads|
|1||WLE Germany||1 May 2022 – 31 May 2022 (UTC+2)||discussion page||Wiki Loves Earth 2022/Deutschland||Protected areas||per federal state: wle-de-bb, -be, -bw, -by, -hb, -he, -hh, -mv, -ni, -nw, -rp, -sh, -sl, -sn, -st, -th||598|
|2||WLE Portugal||1 July 2022 – 31 July 2022 (UTC+1)||discussion page||Wiki Loves Earth 2022/Portugal||Protected areas||wle-pt||423|