Commons:Wiki Loves Folklore 2023 in Ghana
|Rules & Prizes
Wiki Loves Folklore is an international photographic competition that aims to enjoy and celebrate cultural diversity from around the world via Wikimedia projects (primarily Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons). Everybody can participate.
Feminism and Folklore is an international writing contest organized at Wikipedia annually in the months of February and March to document folk cultures and women in folklore in different regions of the world. This project is the Wikipedia edition of the photography campaign Wiki Loves Folklore (WLF) that is organized on Wikimedia Commons to document folklore traditions around the world. The basic aim of the competition is to collect articles on human cultural diversity for the worldwide free encyclopedia Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects. This year we focus on folk culture around the globe, with a particular attention to closing the gender gap, as we are partnering with other affiliates and groups across the world.
We have been organizing a multilingual Wikipedia contest since 2019 and have chosen to host the project on meta, allowing inter-wiki, inter-lingual, and inter-project collaboration to foster the true aspect of our global wikilove movement. The articles provided must correspond to the theme, which means that most users will be able to find several related subjects close to the theme, such as festivals, dances, cuisine, clothing, or daily life routines emphasizing the folk culture of that area. You are free to choose an article from our working list, or pick up a topic of your own, provided it is related to the main theme and focuses on closing the gender gap. Intangible cultural heritage has different meanings for different groups ;thus ,it looks at enhancing content, helps with intercultural dialogue, and encourages mutual respect for other ways of life. It also brings forth an acknowledgement of cultural diversity for the users' consumption.
February 1 – April 15 2023 Start for submissions: February 01, 2023 00:01 (UTC) Deadline for submissions: April 15, 2023 23:59 (UTC) Results Declaration: Declared on April 25, 2023 (Note: Result declaration is subject to changes and may be delayed subject to unexpected circumstances.)
Where to ask questions?
- The primary place for questions or suggestions is the Talk page.
You can also reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @dagbaniwiki
- Facebook: @dagbaniwikimedians
- Instagram: @dagbaniwikimedians
- LinkedIn: Dagbani Wikimedians
- YouTube: Dagbani Wikimedians
- Hashtags: #WikiLovesFolklore2023 #FeminismAndFolklore
Out and about
- Please be considerate and respectful of your fellow photographers and others.
- If you are photographing building interiors, stop straight away if you are asked to do so. Some places prohibit interior photography, but in others you may be allowed to continue if you ask for permission.
- Do not trespass on private property (it is perfectly OK, though, to take photographs while standing in a public place such as the street).
- Where possible avoid photographing vehicles, and particularly vehicle number.
- Please do not upload photographs of posters, noticeboards, signs, or anything else having text or two-dimensional images that might be copyright-protected. That applies even to text or images that are in a public place and that everyone else is taking pictures of. Ancient wall paintings in churches are fine, as are photos of stained glass windows of any date.
Take a photo and upload it to Wikimedia Commons
Make sure to enter your email address on your Wikimedia profile otherwise we may not have a way to contact you if you win one of the prizes.
You can win the following prizes in the international contest:
- 1st prize: 400 USD
- 2nd prize: 200 USD
- 3rd prize: 100 USD
- Top 10 consolation prizes: 10 USD each
- Best Video prize and best Audio prize: 25 USD, 25 USD (each)
- Top uploader prize for images: First Prize 100 USD, Second prize 50 USD
- Wiki Loves Folklore Postcards to top 100 Uploaders
- Best Photo: GHS 800
- 1st prize: GHS 700
- 2nd prize: GHS 600
- 3rd prize: GHS 500
- Top female contributor: GHS 500
- Top 10 consolation prizes: Wikimedia branded sourvenirs
Disclaimer: Prizes to be dispersed in a gift card or voucher format by both International organizing team, and the local Wikimedia Communities in Ghana
Take photosTake as many and as good photos as you can; try different angles. Even if the photo doesn't win you a prize, it may help Wikipedia!
Describe your imagesDescribe what you photographed in the image description and captions. Record the place's name, description, and date of photo.