Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in South Africa
Wiki Loves Monuments (http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org) is an annual international photography contest and crowdsourcing event in which participants photograph and upload images of historic monuments to Wikimedia Commons. These images are then available for free use on Wikipedia and beyond. More details about this year's annual competition can be found at Wiki Loves Monuments ZA. The competition takes place throughout the month of September each year.
About the 2014 contest
Participants upload pictures taken by themselves of South Africa heritage subjects and upload them to Wikimedia Commons during the month of September under a free licence. Pictures of listed sites (listed grade I and II monuments) will stand a chance to win the first, second, and third prizes. Sites that are not listed can be entered as proposed monuments and stand a chance to win a best and second best proposed monument prizes. Pictures of proposed monuments need to have a brief description on why that area is of historic or monumental importance.
Uploaded photographs do not have to be taken during September 2014, but they must not have been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons before. Participants are free to upload photographs of any eligible subject, even if Commons already has one or more photographs, but of course a new angle or a new detail is more useful to the project than simply repeating what has been done before.
The prizes for Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa are:
- First Prize
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R10,000.
- Second Prize
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R6,500.
- Third Prize
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R4,000.
- Best Picture of a Proposed Monument
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R3,000.
- 2nd Best Picture of a Proposed Monument
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R1,500.
- Best Submission in the Western Cape
- Goes to the best submission of a registered monument in the Western Cape. This award is made possible thanks to the generous support of Heritage Western Cape.
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R2,500.
|Wiki Loves Monuments 2014|
|2010 competition - 2011 competition - 2012 competition - 2013 competition - 2015 competition
Timeline - Progress - Tools - FAQ - Media - - List of landing page, monuments and uploadlink - Winning photos