Participating Countries WLM 2018
Participate in the third edition of Wiki Loves Monuments Malta and document Malta's cultural heritage!
Wiki Loves Monuments, the largest photo competition in the world will be taking place in Malta for the second time this September! You are invited to take pictures of cultural heritage monuments, buildings and sites, and upload them to Wikimedia Commons throughout the month of September.
Whether you consider yourself a budding photographer or if you would simply like to share those holiday snaps with the world, Wiki Loves Monuments is open to professional and amateur photographers alike. This is a great opportunity for your photos to contribute to the world's knowledge and the preservation of Malta's's cultural and historical heritage and to have your photos used throughout Wikipedia.
- Who can take part?
Everybody can take part in Wiki Loves Monments! There is no minimum age to participate, and there is no participation fee. You don't need to be a professional photographer, nor do you need to own any expensive camera equipment. Just visit some of your local heritage sites and start snapping!
- Competition rules
In order for your photo to be eligible for this competition, it must be:
- Taken and uploaded by yourself;
- Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons throughout September 2018;
- Freely licensed through a Creative Commons licence;
- A photo of an identified monument in the list of eligible monuments.
- Must not contain any watermarks or other text overlay.
- You are strongly encouraged to list your email address when signing up for a Wiki account. Although this is not a strict requirement, we may be unable to contact you to reclaim your prize if your email is not listed.
- Jury & criteria
Entries will be judged according to the following three factors:
- Aesthetic quality (quality of photography, composition, lighting)
- Heritage value of subject
- Relevance to Wikipedia and Wiki
The competition jury is composed of experts within the fields of cultural heritage, photography and Wikimedia. The full jury will be announced shortly.
Prizes will be announced shortly.
View submissions to Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Malta.
Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Malta is being organised by Wikimedia Community User Group Malta.
For more information contact us through the talk page for this page or through the Wikimedia Community Malta wiki
Wiki Loves Monuments is an annual international photographic competition organised by Wikimedia chapters and groups that aims to promote and share knowledge about heritage sites across the world through Wikimedia projects (mainly Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons). Everybody can participate in Wiki Loves Monuments.
There are many historic monuments in all participating countries. The goal of Wiki Loves Monuments is to encourage people to take pictures of those monuments, and to put them under a free licence so that others may access them through the Internet. To achieve that, an international contest will take place in September 2018. This page introduces the Maltese part of this competition.
In September, you may upload as many picture as you want of monuments that you have visited. Pictures don't have to be taken in September, but must be uploaded that month to be considered. At the end of the month, the contest jury will begin evaluating the photographs and will choose the best 10 pictures of the monuments in Malta, and ultimately in the world.
Joining the competition
Joining Wiki Loves Monuments is easy!
- You need a (free) Wiki account. You can log in with your Wikipedia account, or register here. Don't forget to fill in your e-mail address, otherwise we cannot contact you in case you win!
Uploading through the lists:
- The easiest way to upload pictures is to click on the "upload your photos" button below or by finding the relevant monument in the list of eligible monuments and clicking on the "upload photo" button there.
- Make sure you use a descriptive file name while uploading (no DSC_73482.jpg).
- Make sure you're logged in (otherwise you cannot upload).
The uploading itself:
Upload your photos
- Click the square "Select media files to shares". Select the images you want to upload on your own computer.
- Add more files by clicking "add more files" and selecting the next picture on your computer.
- On the second page, you state to release the pictures are you own work and you release them under the Creative Commons license.
- On the third page, you can add detailed information on the pictures. Don't forget to mention the monument number! Click "Next".
- On the fourth page you can go to the main page of Wikimedia Commons or upload more pictures.
Step 1: Find monuments in your locality. Check: are they in the list of monuments? Note the monument ID!
Step 2: Take photos of the monuments. Take as many photos of as many monuments as you can.
Step 3: Classify your photos: which ID belongs to which monument?
Step 4: Upload your photos to Wikimedia Commons from 1 to 30 September.