Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments in Moldova
Wiki Loves Monuments is a photography contest in which the participants upload images of items of cultural heritage at Wikimedia Commons, so that they can be subsequently used in Wikipedia's articles. The first edition took place in 2010 in the Netherlands, and became international the following year.
Moldova participated in 2021 and 2022, and participates again in 2023.
The goal of Wiki Loves Monuments Moldova contest is to keep gathering as much quality images as possible featuring cultural heritage of Moldova. By having an extensive collection of photos, it becomes possible to illustrate lists and articles on the country's historical, architectural, and archaeological monuments.
How do I participate?
- General information
Everybody is allowed to participate, regardless of age, nationality and place of living, given they agree to publish their work under Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.
- In order to participate in the contest, one needs
- to have an account at Wikimedia Commons, and to have the email activated;
- to search for a cultural heritage monument in Moldova, perhaps using the National Register or browsing the map;
- to capture the area/monument in image(s), following the rules;
- to upload the image(s) at Commons. Don't forget to add the monument's code.
List of monuments
The page ro:Registrul monumentelor Republicii Moldova ocrotite de stat is the main directory for all the district-based lists of items of cultural heritage of Moldova
2,985 uploads (stats in Romanian)
2021 AIRM mass import
Parallel to the contest, 5,492 files from the CC-BY-SA collections of the Agency for Inspection and Restoration of Monuments of Moldova were uploaded to Commons and spread out within the cultural heritage Commons categories, Wikidata items, and Wikipedia lists/articles. This effort was subsequently dedicated to the late Спасимир, who was a mentor and an inspiration for the AIRM project.
3,707 uploads (stats in Romanian)
- First place prize was dedicated in memory of late Nicolae Bulat, the beloved "guardian" of Soroca Fort, a photo of which had won the contest a year earlier.
- Winner of 1st place on a national level got 11th place worldwide: File:Biserici de lemn din Hiriseni si Girbova in Muzeul Satului.jpg
Parallel to the contest, 341 files were uploaded within a bicycle-themed "quest"-type contest called Bike-quest.
- Wiki Loves Monuments official site
- International contest page on Commons
- Moldova contest page on Facebook
- International contest page on Facebook
- Collection of articles in Romanian language to illustrate
- Wikidata-powered Map of cultural heritage items (in Romanian)