Commons:Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States/Alabama
Welcome to the Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States guide for the state of Alabama. Use the guide below to track down registered historic sites to photograph for the contest. If you have content to add, feel free to help expand the guide!
Places to photograph
National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the federal government's official list of historic places that are deemed worthy of preservation.
Some 2,500 of the 90,000 NRHP sites are also recognized as National Historic Landmarks (NHL), which have outstanding historical significance.
Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage
The Alabama Historical Commission maintains the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage.
Local historic sites and districts
In addition to historic sites recognized by the federal and state governments, many localities also maintain their own lists of historic sites, landmarks, and districts. Explore whether any local cities by you have their own lists of historical sites (often maintained by local historic societies).
- Birmingham: National Register of Historic Places
- Mobile: National Register of Historic Places
- Bridges on the National Register in Alabama
- NRHP Multiple Property Submissions in Alabama
List of local historic site lists:
- Birmingham Historical Society
- Birmingham: List of History Attractions
- City of Birmingham
- National Park Service: Alabama
- Birmingham Civil Rights National Monument
- Freedom Riders National Monument
- Horseshoe Bend National Military Park
- Little River Canyon National Preserve
- Muscle Shoals National Heritage Area
- Natchez Trace Parkway
- Russell Cave National Monument
- Selma to Montgomery National Historic Trail
- Trail of Tears National Historic Trail
- Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
- Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
- Photography policy, Sloss Furnaces, Birmingham
None yet! We encourage local organizers to host a photowalk to visit local historic sites. If you host one, please list it here.