Wiki Loves Pride is a global campaign in the Wiki Loves X outreach tradition to expand and improve LGBTQ+-related content across all Wikimedia projects, in all languages. Most activities of Wiki Loves Pride take place between June and October, traditionally the months when lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities around the world celebrate LGBT culture and history.
We seek to improve LGBTQ+-related content in the following ways:
- A photography contest, hosted here on Wikimedia Commons, running from 19 June 2019 (00:01 UTC) - 31 July 2019 (23:59 UTC). The photography contest at Wikimedia Commons is an opportunity to document and visually showcase LGBTQ+ culture around the globe. Please see Photography Contest Rules and Photography Contest Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for detailed information about the Photography Contest. To submit a photograph for the contest, use the Submit button near the bottom of this page.
- An Art Writing Contest (writing about LGBTQ+-related works of art), hosted on Meta-Wiki (Meta-Wiki is "the global community site for the Wikimedia Foundation's projects and related projects, from coordination and documentation to planning and analysis.")
One of the aims of Wiki Loves Pride will be increasing the number of people and perspectives contributing to LGBT information on the site, as well as encouraging institutions to add their authority information, research, and images to the public domain. Contributions to information about LGBT topics in politics and policy, medicine, topics in identity sexuality, and society, rights and attitudes, history, culture, and institutions will vastly affect the ways in which these topics are researched and understood internationally. In the past, Wikipedia articles on these topics have been riddled with a lack of scholarly sources and lack of perspectives, a problem which has the effect of skewing public perceptions and affecting research and decisions in public policy, science and medical practice, and community acceptance.
There will be a variety of winners based on different categories of submission.
The contest will run from 19 June 2019 (00:01 UTC) - 31 July 2019 (23:59 UTC).
Photos uploaded as early as 1 June are also eligible.
To add an image to this contest click on the upload button below.
- Grand Prize: US$400
- Best Parade Photo: US$100
- Best 20th Century Photo: US$100
- Best Developing Country Photo: US$100
- Best Video: US$100
- 8 Consolation Prize: US$25 Each
- Certificates to winners and organizers
- Please see prize terms and means of distribution