Commons:Wiki Loves Switzerland 2020
Wiki Loves Switzerland 2020 is the 10th Wiki Loves contest organised by the local Wikimedia chapter for Switzerland.
There are two different ways to participate:
- Photos: Participants take pictures that best describe the Swiss "soul", and upload them to Wikimedia Commons. The aim is to highlight the beauty of Switzerland and its traditions in order to encourage participants to take pictures and to share them under a free license.
- Articles: Participants translate or modify articles about Swiss castles using this list on Meta. The aim is to highlight the Swiss castles with content translations in each of the Swiss languages.
After 9 editions of Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Earth, Wikimedia CH has decided to organize this "variant" of Wiki Loves contests to broaden horizons beyond heritage and natural sites, with the aim to explore and document the spirit of the Swiss confederation.
Join us to contribute with free-licensed photographs of Switzerland!
- 1st.Place - 500 CHF.-
- 2nd.Place - 300 CHF.-
- 3rd.Place - 300 CHF.-
How to participate with photos
1. Explore Switzerland
2. Choose what describes the Swiss "soul"
3. Take pictures
4. Upload them to Commons
5. Do it again and again
How to participate with articles
1. Explore Swiss castles
2. Choose the article you like
3. Search for information about it
4. Modify or translate the corresponding article
5. Do it again and again
Find places and topicsThere are plenty of regions, municipalities and traditions in every canton: find the closest to you or your holiday destination!
Take photosTake as many good pictures as you can, try different angles. Even if the photo doesn't win a prize, it may help Wikipedia!
Describe themWrite down what you photographed. Record the site's name, description, coordinates, and date of photo.
For any question, don't hesitate to contact the organisers on the talk page.
Freedom of choice
The topic is free, what is important is to best represent the Swiss soul!
Why should I participate?
Participate in Wiki Loves Switzerland and help Wikipedia document everything that describes the spirit of the Swiss confederation!
The jury will select up to 10 images and articles, and the winners will be awarded during the annual New Year's Brunch, that will be held in January 2021.
The jury is free not to assign prizes if the selection doesn't match the judging criteria.
N.B.: All pictures have to be uploaded from the 15th of October to the 30th of November. You can also upload images that you may already have taken in the past, for example during one of your travels in Switzerland, but to participate, you must upload them during the indicated period.
We try to keep the competition clear and simple. There are only a few rules for photos to participate in Wiki Loves Switzerland. Let's quickly go through them.
Every submission should be:
- Self taken and self uploaded;
- Uploaded during the contest period (October 15th - November 30th);
- During the upload process, you give permission with a to re-use the image;
- Represent a topic that does not violate personal privacy or copyright.
Next to that, there are a few practical rules:
- You should have an activated e-mail address on Wikimedia Commons;
- If the photo gets deleted from Commons for any reason, it is automatically disqualified from the competition;
- You are responsible for following the law while taking and uploading the photo.
Pay attention to the categories!
The guided upload process will assign your pictures automatically to the general category of the contest, but please, add more specific and appropriate categories to your photos. This will keep Wikimedia Commons tidy and make your pictures easier to search for. Thank you in advance!
Our jury will study the submitted images through two or three rounds during November and December 2020.
At the end of this process, a jury consisting of expert photographers and wikipedians will determine the top 10 images of the competition.
The jury will determine the winners of the contest by taking into consideration the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Usefulness of the image for Wikipedia.
Images that reach a top ranking of the final evaluation phase, will typically at least fulfill the technical criteria of the ‘Featured Image’ process of Wikimedia Commons. But feel free to submit as many images as you would like, and let the jury decide if they qualify for a prize.