Commons:Wiki Science Competition 2019
Wiki Science Competition is an international scientific photo competition
All of the upload forms can be accessed from here. An international category is also provided for countries without a specific category and transnational institution.
Some countries have specific national juries. Click on your country in the list for more information in your main language.
This competition originally started as a national competition and it was first organized in Estonia. In 2015, the contest was expanded to all of Europe and resulted in almost 10,000 freely licensed images attracting over 2,200 contesters. The 2017 edition was the first international one and saw an upload of more than 12000 files.
This year the event is organized globally for the second time.
How to participate
Create your account
If you don't have one, you can create a global account that will give you a specific username on all Wikimedia platforms (including Wikimedia Commons) when you log in.
Plese notice that you need to wait at least four days before uploading a video file, while images can be uploaded right after the registration.
Check the rules
The main rules are listed on the Competition website. Here we provide a brief summary.
For a quick glance, an informal selection of every week of the 2019 edition is given here.
- Lachnaia italica in reproduction.webm
- Mirela Szczepańczyk MA, librarian from Circulation Department in Library of Medical University of Silesia in Katowice, while working. December 2019.jpg
Hashtags: #WikiScience #WikiScienceCompetition #WSC2019 #WikiScienceCompetition2019
Press and blogs
A list of news published on line, ordered by date, in various languages is provided.
- – Osama Shukir Muhammed AMIN (medicine)
- – / Wing Ying CHOW (chemistry)
- – Leonardo D'IMPORZANO (journalism, popularization)
- – Valentina DOMENICI (chemistry, popularization)
- – / Daniel MIETCHEN (biophysics)
- – / Annalisa PLAITANO (biology, popularization)
- – Nuggehalli Srinivas PRASHANTH (medicine)
- – / Achintya RAO (physics)
- – Aleksandra SULIKOWSKA-BEŁCZOWSKA (art history)
- – Andreas THUST (microscopy)
- – / Marcos VALDES (astronomy, scientific outreach)
- – Sven ZACEK (photography)