Commons talk:Images on normal pages or categories:Vote
I added a link to the vote on the main page to improve visibility of the vote -- Chris 73 00:22, 21 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Number of votes
How often can we vote? I personally support two options, oppose another two options, and are neutral to the rest. -- Chris 73 00:18, 21 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I would actually prefer to use Instant runoff voting for votes like this: each user states the order of prefference for all the options. I belive this is the faires voting system, because it shows which option people like best onaverage, instead of just showing wich option is the favorite of most people (that is not the same thing!). Specifically, instant runoff voting also takes into account the how strongly specific options are disliked. -- Duesentrieb 11:28, 21 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- Probably best, but may be too complex. Not sure everybody would follow that rule. How about the option to be pro, con, or neutral for each subsection? Not sure how to tabulate the vote at the end, though -- Chris 73 13:04, 21 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Translation in other languages
Can the description of this vote be translated into other languages. If i make a new site with a german title i don't know how the vote section will be the same on all pages. --Donny 10:17, 21 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Extending the Vote
Please extend the vote by at least a week, because
- Many beople agre not going to be online over the holidays, including me. This is going to distort the vote.
- At the Wikipedia-Con at the 21C3 there is going to be much talk about policies and features. It's likely that more people become interrested in the commons, and that some people will change their mind.
- After the 21C3, I'll hopefully have an answer to the question how soon my proposal and additional features for categories can be implemented.
Maybe it would be best to have an open-end vote about this, so the policy can change over time. I don't think that it is wise to fix the policy on this issue in an early stage of the project.
Thanks -- Duesentrieb 11:24, 21 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- I would also favor a delay till mid or end january. BTW, the MediaWiki developer conference at the 21C3 is on December 27-29 in Berlin -- Chris 73 00:06, 22 Dec 2004 (UTC)
The vote really needs to be extended. First, there is no clear consensus yet. Second, it's the holidays, and people really need time after that for thinking about the issue. And with the developer conference, I think mid-to-late January is a good idea. --Quadell 17:04, 22 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- ... so I extended the vote from 31.12. to 14.1.2005 (at least) to get an adequate date. --:Bdk: 01:46, 24 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Voting is going on very well, a lot of people are using their chance to vote on this page ... so I would prefer to extend the vote once again, perhaps another two weeks. What do you think? There´s no hurry to close the vote and by the way many other software changes are more important at the moment ;-) --:Bdk: 06:46, 11 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- my opinion is that right now there is no need to close this vote. Duesentrieb's proposal seems to be winning with a mixed system (aka maintaining the status quo) until it is implemented. I think we should keep this vote open until Duesentrieb's proposal is implemented at which point we should see if the consensus is still in favour of going with it once the users have seen it demonstrated. Plugwash 23:34, 11 Jan 2005 (UTC)
So, what right now?
Should I create articles or categories right now? Or should I just stay away until this problem is solved? And if so, when will that be? RoceKiller 10:52, 5 May 2005 (UTC)
- You should do whatever you think is best. Don't stay away until the "problem" is resolved; it might never be. I personally doubt that this vote will ever result is a set of strict rules anyway.
- A fairly conservative strategy is to just go along with whatever structure is already in place. If there are already categories that fit your images, use them. If there are already pages, use them. And if you have to invent your own structure, feel free to do whatever. Dbenbenn 15:21, 6 May 2005 (UTC)
- Just create categories, that always works. Gryffindor 18:56, 26 September 2007 (UTC)