Videos and rationale
Inspired by Commons:Deletion requests/File:Male masturbation ejaculation.ogg I've replaced all "images" by "files" or "media" or "images and videos", IOW, "videos" should now be covered. While at it I've trimmed the section headers, removed a link to a rejected guideline, and merged "policies" with "guidelines". The section "rationale" should be rewritten or removed, because it discusses a state when this guideline was still a draft. The part about "media better than existing files" (was: images) is rather obscure, context can be good, as it says, but IMO a close-up can be also good, as it doesn't say: non-confrontational framing (e.g. side-on) over "shocking" close-up shots. Can this be removed as hogwash? –Be..anyone (talk) 21:44, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
- The "rationale" has been in this article since at least 2006. It seems a bit absurd to say that "at the moment there are no guidelines or policies to guide administrators as to what the acceptable bounds of content here should be" if that "moment" is more than ten years ago. --22.214.171.124 17:58, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
- I don't understand if you're proposing removing the entire "media better than existing files" section or just the "non-confrontational framing" part. I would weakly oppose removing the "non-confrontational framing" part and strongly oppose removing the "media better than existing files" section. I think those are all reasonable considerations to make when evaluating media featuring nudity. Agree with fixing the rationale section though. Kaldari (talk) 16:34, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
Proposal to remove bracketed unlimited application to non-nudity
(But this is in no way restricted to files containing nudity or sexual content; *anything* of poor quality may be deleted in favor of higher-quality replacements.)
Checking the archives I can find no related discussion of this change, so it appears there never was a community consensus to extend this official guideline on Nudity to all of Commons' media files. I propose to remove it as an untrue statement, and if anyone thinks it is valid, they should be able to provide evidence of a credible consensus in 2014, or create a new proposal to re-add the text.
Note SamB has been inactive for over a year.
Where to request specific images?
- In general, Commons isn't a place to request images. If you have a genuine need of this photo to illustrate a Wikipedia article or for a similar purpose, you typically should request this through a WikiProject on Wikipedia.
- That said, I suspect that if you look in the relevant categories for human genitalia, especially male human genitalia, there will be a lot of genital selfies shot without the aid of a mirror. I have no desire to go look & verify that statement. Let us know here how that works for you and whether you still come up short. - Jmabel ! talk 05:48, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- Best to request missing images on the Village_pump, where photography drives are often discussed. High quality nude and erotica photos are in short supply. --Fæ (talk) 07:53, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
Translation and rooster picture
This image of rooster should be one translation unit, so that speakers of languages other than English can choose another suitable picture or even comment the entire picture out. The word "cock" has at least two different meanings in English, but this may not be the case in other languages. A picture of a rooster is utterly meaningless in the Persian edition of the policy page! 4nn1l2 (talk) 16:16, 18 May 2019 (UTC)