Commons talk:Picture of the Year/2007/Voting instructions
How to vote
Voting requires these steps:
- Enable e-mail (if it's not already enabled)
- Request and receive a token which is like a ballot
- Visit the gallery
- Cast your vote
Wikimedia Commons sends you a token by e-mail. To prepare to receive the token, you must have e-mail enabled. Here's how.
- Click 'my preferences,' which for most users is on the top line of the page. This opens a page where you can enter your e-mail address.
- On the User profile tab, click in the 'E-mail:' box, and type your e-mail address. It's important to be accurate. Be sure to include the @ sign and the name of the e-mail provider.
- Click the Save button (the button is near the bottom of the page). At this time, Commons automatically sends an e-mail to the address you entered.
- Read your e-mail, look for a message from email@example.com and read it. It says something like "Someone, probably you, from IP address <some long number appears here> , has registered an account "<your user name appears here>" with this e-mail address on Wikimedia Commons." The subject is "Wikimedia Commons e-mail address confirmation." This e-mail asks you to open a link in your browser.
- Click the link; if this does not work, copy and paste the link into your browser's address bar and go to the link by whatever technique your browser uses (such as pressing the Enter key). This takes you to Wikimedia Commons, and a message appears, saying "Your e-mail address has now been confirmed."
- Click 'my preferences' and view the 'User profile' tab. Under E-mail, there are several check boxes.
- Place a check mark in the 'Enable e-mail from other users' check box. This is essential because Commons will e-mail you the token you need in order to vote.
- Click the Save button.