Commons talk:Protection policy
- Go for it. It's just semi. Nowadays, that's pretty good for a policy on protection bro. ;) Rocket000 (talk) 10:15, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
Heavy use / visible files(!) protection
[move=sysop] and [upload=sysop] should be enough, isn't it? edit=sysop isn't needed. It came to my mind, that someone malicious could place redir on a file page to get another content displayed at file inclusions. But as far as I tested (temporarily) at File:AXMPtiffbeach.jpg redirs do not fire if there are file version - neither for the file content (thumb URL links) and |thumb| inclusions nor even for the file page File:AXMPtiffbeach.jpg. Can someone confirm this - or even has a link to the relevant MediaWiki code / doc?
If we are sure that edits cannot do harm the action=edit can be free. As such protections probably occur often at Commons I suggest to add one or two short sentences of advice/help how to protect (not for editing) such files. Cheers --Saibo (Δ) 01:04, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
- I agree. edit=sysop restriction is not necessary for highly visoble files. Edit restriction can be set individually when there is excessive vandalism or edit warring about file's description. – Kwj2772 (msg) 08:40, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
- Tested again and made the change to the page now. Hope it is fine for everybody. --Saibo (Δ) 01:34, 29 January 2012 (UTC)
Spam Filter Off
Hi all; I need to add a link from the Welsh Help section here to a video Tutorial I've made on You Tube. Wiki-cy won't allow this link due to the Spam Filter; can anyone guide me please as to how do I turn it off on that Help Page? Many thanks - diolch yn fawr! Secondly, are there any new developments with the size of ogg files on Commons? Last time I looked they were too small for my purpose, as the user needs to see the cursor. - Llywelyn2000 (talk) 16:57, 13 March 2013 (UTC).
Strange semi-protected templates
- When I click on "See source code", they display a banner : "This page is semi-protected and can only be modified by registered users" (approximate translation as my language is french).
- I am a long-registered User, but I cannot edit theses templates.
So either, there is a bug blocking my edition or the banner is buggy and should say that this template is fully protected and only an admin can edit it.
PS: I still dream of a 'authorized to change templates and modules' status not related to 'admin' status. An admin is not meant to develop templates and modules + A templates and modules editor may no wish to become admin.
Best regards, Liné1 (talk) 12:48, 7 October 2013 (UTC)
Cascading protection affects included files, however it affects their file description pages also. That causes (besides other things) that description and categorization of files used at the main page cann't be improved. This behavior is assaulted in phab:T24521 as a bug.
Either replace the apostrophe with an O or remove one N from cann't. 126.96.36.199 05:48, 27 July 2017 (UTC)