Commons talk:Redesigning the upload form
Talk pages for the various upload forms
The MediaWiki:Upload-url do not change the link of "Upload file" in sidebar, particularly in Vietnamese Wikipedia where I'm an admin. I had to change MediaWiki:Common.js to make it work. Can somebody explain? Vinhtantran 18:15, 24 February 2008 (UTC)
- I copied your comment and question to Commons_talk:Upload#No_results. They might be able to help there too. --Timeshifter 20:57, 24 February 2008 (UTC)
- Oh, I have just seen the last line of this page, that we will need a developer if we want to change it properly and completely, so, I guess what I have done in Vietnamese Wikipedia is right. Thanks anyway. Vinhtantran 12:05, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
Transcluded introductory text
- Of course it is. What made you think otherwise? Lupo 10:10, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- Look carefully at the right column of text. It fooled me too at first. --Timeshifter 10:37, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- Look carefully at the source. It contains both the default text you see when you go to the page and that is also displayed at the basic upload form, as well as an alternate text for the right column (transcluded from MediaWiki:UploadFormQuickHelp) that is shown on the full form. Lupo 10:49, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
(unindent) Might it not be better to use intermediate templates? Then we could have separate talk pages. Right now we have 3 different sets of introductory text that average readers actually see:
3 different intermediate templates might serve us better.
I am an admin on a Wikia wiki. I use nested templates. I also am a webmaster. I use FrontPage 2003. I have many nested include pages in my website. I could probably never explain it well to anybody because it is so intricately nested. But it is a personal website created over years. And only I edit it. So it doesn't matter.
But shouldn't we strive to make things more comprehensible on Wikimedia? Especially since these upload forms and their transcluded text pages are being adapted for many languages. And the other wikipedias will want to explain the upload forms in their own ways that are best for their languages and readers.
Intermediate templates would allow more editors to make suggestions on the talk pages for each intermediate template. Even if they couldn't edit those templates directly. Editors can't make suggestions now specifically for
Where can they make those suggestions? What are the links for those suggestion pages? I want to add those links to the previously-discussed tables listing talk pages for the many upload forms. --Timeshifter 12:24, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- You have several dimensions to deal with here: language (more than 100), upload sources (ownwork, fromflickr, etc; about 6), and newly form style (basic or full). That gives you about 1200 talk pages to split discussions over if you want to fit them all into a single hierarchy. Doesn't seem like a good idea, especially since the traffic on these pages is typically low. Much better to have one centralized discussion place, for instance at Commons talk:Upload. Or just use the village pumps.
- Also note that with the current server implementation, we cannot have separate Uploadtexts for the full and basic mode in separate files. Lupo 12:32, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- Whatever they are doing at English Wikipedia seems to be working. See the table at the top of w:Wikipedia talk:Upload. I don't pretend to understand the technicalities of the MediaWiki software, but I like how nearly all the introductory documentation pages for the many Wikipedia upload forms are editable by any registered editor now. I don't see any overly-nested templates being used. That may be the solution. --Timeshifter 12:42, 11 June 2008 (UTC)
- You need to realize that the Commons is different from en-WP. We have not just one interface, but many translated interfaces in many languages. That just doesn't exist over at en-WP. Try a German upload page or a german upload form at en-WP! Things that may work well at en-WP (and it remains to be seen how well it works, given that the upload pages at en-WP are only semi-protected since a few days ago) may not work so well here. Lupo 08:33, 12 June 2008 (UTC)
- Commons:Upload has been semi-protected for a long time. So has Wikipedia:Upload/Flickr. In 4 days I will be able to see the actual upload forms at French wikipedia. I read some French. I just signed up there. For now I can only see the main upload entry page:
- I will look to see which of their upload documentation pages are semi-protected. --Timeshifter 09:34, 12 June 2008 (UTC)
Pdf file uploads
I have spent the last 3 months or so organizing the Pdf files as there were thousands of unlinked unorganized files. Most uploaders have no clue as to uploading Pdf files and many of them should not even be there: images, CV's and autobiographies, business ads, university theses etc. SO is there any way of putting a Pdf Upload link on the Upload page or on the sidebar to tell uploaders not to upload Pdf files or at least check out the proper categories Category:Pdf files to place things in? WayneRay (talk) 05:20, 17 August 2008 (UTC)WayneRay