File:Hammurabi's Babylonia 1.svg
A locator map of Hammurabi's Babylonia, showing the Babylonian territory upon his ascension in 1792 BC and upon his death in 1750 BC. The river courses and coastline are those of that time period -- in general, they are not the modern rivers or coastlines. This is a Mercator projection, with north in its usual position.
There is some question to what degree the cities of Nineveh, Tuttul, and Assur were under Babylonian authority. While in his introduction to his code of laws, Hammurabi claims lordship over these cities, Roaf does not include any of these in his map, upon which this map is based, and Chevalas states that "Assur and Nineveh were held for a very few years" (p. 155). Therefore, I have not included them as under Hammurabi's control in 1750 BC.
- Bjorklund, Oddvar; Holmboe, Haakon; Rohr, Anders (1970) Historical Atlas of the World, Barnes & Noble, NY, SBN: 389-00253-4.
- Chavalas, Mark W.; K. Lawson Younger (2003) Mesopotamia and the Bible, Continuum International Publishing Group, ISBN 978-0567082312.
- Hammond World Atlas Corporation (2007) Historical World Atlas, ISBN 9-780843-71391-6
- Roaf, M. (1990) Cultural Atlas of Mesopotamia and the ancient Near East, Oxford: Facts on File. (In general, the basis for the ancient river courses and ancient coastline).
- Van De Mieroop, Marc (2005). King Hammurabi of Babylon: A Biography. Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 1405126604
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.(newest | oldest) View (newer 10 | older 10) (10 | 20 | 50 | 100 | 250 | 500)
|current||09:14, 21 April 2013||655 × 570 (183 KB)||Citypeek||Cleanup of file. Valid SVG now.|
|19:06, 27 April 2010||655 × 570 (168 KB)||DieBuche||removed border|
|15:05, 30 July 2009||661 × 580 (317 KB)||Amit6||Some nodes changed.|
|23:24, 3 March 2008||661 × 580 (163 KB)||MapMaster||Added city-state, moved Sippar, minor other changes based on recent Kassite map|
|16:06, 23 February 2008||661 × 580 (161 KB)||MapMaster||Added 1 city, added name for 1 city|
|03:29, 21 February 2008||661 × 580 (159 KB)||MapMaster||"blurred" the territory outlines|
|23:25, 20 February 2008||661 × 580 (155 KB)||MapMaster||Changes made based on info from ''Mesopotamia and the Bible''|
|02:03, 19 February 2008||663 × 580 (156 KB)||MapMaster||Fixed an error on my part|
|21:12, 18 February 2008||332 × 292 (156 KB)||MapMaster||some minor edits|
|19:19, 18 February 2008||332 × 293 (154 KB)||MapMaster||removed unrenderable bmp|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on af.wikipedia.org
- Usage on als.wikipedia.org
- Usage on am.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ar.wikipedia.org
- Usage on azb.wikipedia.org
- Usage on az.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ba.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bg.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bn.wikipedia.org
- Usage on br.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cy.wikipedia.org
- Usage on da.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on diq.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
View more global usage of this file.