Window Frame (foreground)
This window frame is carved with fashionable Gothic tracery. It is very elaborate, but there was never any intention to glaze it. The weather was kept out simply by shutters, possibly both inside and out. This window frame shows that ceilinged rooms at the time must have been very low, even in timber houses of the more elaborate kind. The total height of the room from which this window came must have been less than 2.1 metres.
Given by Mr A.H. Fass
Stained Glass from Winchester College Chapel (background)
Thomas the Glazier (active in the 1390\'s)
Clear, coloured and flashed glass with painted details and silver staining
These stained glass panels were made in the workshop of Thomas of Oxford who was commissioned by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester (1366-1404), to make decorated windows for his educational establishments of Winchester College, Winchester, and New College, Oxford. Thomas of Oxford was an important glazier at the end of the 14th century and on into the early years of the 15th century. He headed a stained glass workshop which was probably located in Oxford or just outside the city. A document dated 1393 discusses the contract for the Winchester windows and these panels date from that time.
These three panels were originally located in the side windows closest to the altar in the Chapel of Winchester College. The east window of this Chapel was filled with glass depicting the genealogy of Jesus Christ in the form of a 'Tree of Jesse'. The side windows contained images of saints, the twelve Apostles and Old Testament prophets. The figures here represent the Apostles St John the Evangelist and St James the Less and the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel.
Between 1821 and 1828, the Chapel windows were taken down to be restored by the firm of Betton and Evans of Shrewsbury. However, the firm decided to replace the originals with copies. The V&A�s panels are original and were purchased from the studio by the Rev. W.G. Rowland who intended to install them in St. Mary�s Shrewbury but instead sold them. In 1855, the museum bought them from the current owner.
This figure of the prophet Ezekiel stands on a pedestal base which bears the name of Sophonias. It is believed that during the restoration in the early 19th century, the section of glass bearing the name �Sophonias� was mistakenly inserted into the base of the panel with the figure of Ezekiel.
4237.1 to 9-1855