File:Black Point, Jamestown Island Drive, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown, Virginia (14422470131).jpg
Original file (4,000 × 3,000 pixels, file size: 4.52 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Jamestown Island is a 1,561-acre (632 ha; 2.439 sq mi) island in the James River in Virginia, part of James City County. It is located off Glasshouse Point, to which it is connected via a causeway. Much of the island is wetland, including both swamp and marsh.
In 1607, the Jamestown Island (then a peninsula) became site of Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in the Americas. The town lasted until 1699, when it was abandoned in favor of a new site at Williamsburg. By the early 20th century, the isthmus connecting the landform to Glasshouse Point had eroded, making it a proper island. Today, most of the island is a part of Colonial National Historical Park.
|Source||Black Point, Jamestown Island Drive, Colonial National Historical Park, Jamestown, Virginia|
|Author||Ken Lund from Reno, Nevada, USA|
|Camera location||View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth|
|This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.|
|This image was originally posted to Flickr by Ken Lund at https://flickr.com/photos/75683070@N00/14422470131. It was reviewed on by FlickreviewR and was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the cc-by-sa-2.0.|
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||16:23, 3 November 2016||4,000 × 3,000 (4.52 MB)||Ser Amantio di Nicolao||Transferred from Flickr via Flickr2Commons|
- You cannot overwrite this file.