File:EAST ELEVATION LOOKING WEST. - Newark International Airport, Administration Building, Brewster Road between Route 21 and New Jersey Turnpike Exchange No. 14, Newark, Essex HAER NJ,7-NEARK.V,1B-3.tif

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Original file(5,074 × 4,084 pixels, file size: 19.77 MB, MIME type: image/tiff)

Summary[edit]

Title EAST ELEVATION LOOKING WEST. - Newark International Airport, Administration Building, Brewster Road between Route 21 and New Jersey Turnpike Exchange No. 14, Newark, Essex County, NJ
Depicted place New Jersey; Essex County; Newark
Date
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Photographer

Brandt, Peter

Related names:

Civilian Works Administration
Gorky, Arshile
Beyer Blinder Belle Architects and Planners, contractor
Gall, Joe, field team
Meyer, Lauren, transmitter
Kramer, Charles W, A, historian
Nastasi, David, historian
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HAER NJ,7-NEARK.V,1B-3
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: Part of Newark International Airport, the Administration Building was the second at Newark Airport. Opened in 1935, the second Airport Administration Building was one of the first advanced, second-generation airport terminal building types of its kind. With its convex, linear plan, it was a building prototype upon which subsequent airport terminals were based. A number of centralized passenger and service functions were located in the 1935 Airport Administration Building, including a weather bureau, air-traffic control tower, air-traffic control center, and hotel rooms. The control center was the first of its kind in the nation. The City of Newark, in conjunction with the federal New Deal CWA and WPA agencies built the building. At one time, it contained a series of ten WPA sponsored canvas murals painted by Arshile Gorky. During the 1930s and 1940s, the 1935 Airport Administration Building stood in the center of one of the world's busiest airports.
  • Survey number: HAER NJ-133-B
  • Building/structure dates: 1934-1935 Initial Construction
  • Building/structure dates: 1955 Subsequent Work
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/nj1755.photos.384812p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the public domain in the United States. See the NPS website and NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Object location40° 42′ 24″ N, 74° 09′ 45″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current21:20, 28 July 2014Thumbnail for version as of 21:20, 28 July 20145,074 × 4,084 (19.77 MB) (talk | contribs)GWToolset: Creating mediafile for Fæ. HABS 24 July 2014 (2301:2600)
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.

Metadata