File:Front elevation - Kate Chopin House, State Highway 495, Cloutierville, Natchitoches Parish, LA HABS LA,35-CLOU,1-1.tif

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Original file(4,911 × 3,524 pixels, file size: 16.51 MB, MIME type: image/tiff)

Summary[edit]

Title Front elevation - Kate Chopin House, State Highway 495, Cloutierville, Natchitoches Parish, LA
Description Chopin, Kate; Price, Virginia Barrett, transmitter; Morgan, Nancy I, M, sponsor; Cane River National Heritage Area Commission, sponsor; Louisiana Tech University, School of Architecture, sponsor; Martin, F Lestar, faculty sponsor; Carwile, Guy, faculty sponsor; Foster, Brad; Quinn, Zach; Sherwood, Doug; Smith, Connie; Boucher, Jack E, photographer; Hayward, Jenes, delineator; Roberts, William, delineator
Depicted place Louisiana; Natchitoches Parish; Cloutierville
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 5 x 7 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS LA,35-CLOU,1-1
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • 1998 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Fourth Place
  • Significance: The Kate Chopin House, also known as the Bayou Folk Museum, was constructed circa 1809 by Alexis Cloutier. The site was part of a French land grant issued in 1701. It is situated approximately 30 miles south of the town of Natchitoches, originally established as an outpost to prevent Spanish advancement in the region. Cloutier developed a large population with a head right on the banks of the Red River at the end of the 18th century. The house is a two story raised cottage. The ground floor was constructed of bricks and on bousilace, a mixture of mud and Spanish moss. Cypress structural members were assembled with mortise and tenon joints and square wood pegs. Floors at the upper level were the 5" wide heart pine stripes. The ground floor rooms were used only for storage until the early 20th century; at this time concrete slabs were installed over the original dirt floors. The Chopin House, established as the Bayou Folk Museum in 1965, is owned by the Association for the Preservation of Historic Natchitoches. The National Historic Landmark designation of this house was obtained through its association with late 19th century author Kate Chopin. Born in 1851, she married Oscar Chopin in 1870. They moved to this house on his family plantation in 1880 where they lived until his death three years later. Kate Chopin died in 1904.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N373
  • Survey number: HABS LA-1274
References
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is
93001601
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/la0400.photos.204802p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the public domain in the United States. See the NPS website and NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Object location31° 32′ 35.02″ N, 92° 55′ 05.02″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current22:59, 17 July 2014Thumbnail for version as of 22:59, 17 July 20144,911 × 3,524 (16.51 MB) (talk | contribs)GWToolset: Creating mediafile for Fæ. HABS 17 July 2014 (1401:1600)
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.

File usage on other wikis

The following other wikis use this file:

Metadata