Original file (3,600 × 2,800 pixels, file size: 1.16 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
English: Satellite view of Hawaii archipellago (USA).
Original description from NASA:
"A silver swath of sunglint surrounds half of the Hawaiian islands in this true-color Terra MODIS image acquired on May 27, 2003. Sunglint reveals turbulence in the surface waters of the Pacific Ocean. If the surface of the water was as smooth as a perfect mirror, we would see the circle of the Sun as a perfect reflection. But because the surface of the water is ruffled with waves, each wave acts like a mirror and the Sun’s reflection gets softened into a broader silver swath, called the sunglint region.
"In this scene, the winds ruffling the water surface around the Hawaiian Islands create varying patterns, leaving some areas calmer than others. Southwest of Hawaii and Maui, on their leeward sides, calmer waters are indicated by brighter silver coloration. Conversely, notice how most of the vegetation on the Hawaiian Islands grows on their northeastern, or windward, sides."From lower right to upper left, the “Big Island” (Hawaii), Maui, Kahoolawe, Lanai, Molokai, Oahu, Kauai, and Niihau islands all make up the state of Hawaii, which lies more than 2,000 miles from any other part of the United States. The small red dot on the Big Island’s southeastern side marks a hot spot on Kilauea Volcano’s southern flank. Kilauea has been erupting almost continuously since January 1983, and is one of the world’s best studied volcanoes."
Français : Vue satellite de l'archipel d'Hawaï (États-Unis).
|Source||NASA. Image courtesy Jacques Descloitres, MODIS Land Rapid Response Team at NASA GSFC. (IotD Date: 2003-06-03. IotD ID: 15304)|
This is a retouched picture, which means that it has been digitally altered from its original version. Modifications: cloned out and healed little red line on the big island. The original can be viewed here: Hawaje.jpg. Modifications made by IdLoveOne.
Derivative works of this file: Hawaje-NoRedLine.jpg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||18:19, 26 October 2005||3,600 × 2,800 (1.16 MB)||Palladinus||Hawaii Islands|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on arz.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bg.wikipedia.org
- Usage on co.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Usage on es.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wiktionary.org
- Usage on gl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on incubator.wikimedia.org
- Usage on ky.wikipedia.org
- Usage on lv.wikipedia.org
- Usage on no.wikipedia.org
- Usage on oc.wikipedia.org
- Usage on pdc.wikipedia.org
- Usage on pl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ro.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ru.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ru.wikinews.org
- Usage on sq.wikipedia.org
- Usage on sw.wikipedia.org
- Usage on to.wikipedia.org
- Usage on uk.wikipedia.org