File:Italy 1000 AD.svg
English: Political map of Italy in 1000 AD (CE). Created by MapMaster. Part of a series of maps on the history of Italy:
|Date||(original upload date)|
|Source||No machine-readable source provided. Own work assumed (based on copyright claims).|
|Author||No machine-readable author provided. MapMaster assumed (based on copyright claims).|
This SVG file contains embedded text that can be translated into your language, using an SVG supportive editor (like XML or text). For more information see: About translating SVG files.
- Bjorklund, Oddvar; Holmboe, Haakon; Rohr, Anders (1970) Historical Atlas of the World, Barnes & Noble, NY, SBN: 389-00253-4.
- This map from Allyn & Bacon, Longman, textbook publishers.
- This map of the w:en:Holy Roman Empire
- A map from Attilios
- This map of 1050 AD Italy, from the 1923 The Historical Atlas by William R. Shepherd
- This map of 1000 AD Italy from Fordham University, adapted from Muir's Historical Atlas, (1911).
In addition, a number of other sources were consulted in an effort to determine the following matters:
- The extent of Venetian control over the cities of Dalmatia such as Zara and Spalato. Although the Venetians had been pushed off the mainland earlier, in the period around the year 1000, the Venetians made an effort to recover these cities.
- The extent of Saracen control over Corsica and Sardinia. Information is sparse. The apparent situation is that the Muslims had several bases on the coasts of these islands, but did not control the countryside (such as they did in Sicily).
- Whether or not the principalities of Capua and Benevento were separate states in the year 1000. Based on lists of their rulers (various Pandulfs and Landulfs), the answer seems to be "yes".
- Who controlled the Balkans on the southeastern border of the Kingdom of Croatia. Candidates include Bulgaria, the Byzantine Empire, Croatia, and Serbia.
As noted, there is significant disagreement among sources on these questions.
Derivative works of this file: Italya MS 1000.svg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||19:50, 17 April 2007||565 × 811 (861 KB)||MapMaster||Some further changes|
|05:10, 19 February 2007||565 × 811 (824 KB)||MapMaster||changes to ensure consistency with my other Italy maps|
|05:39, 25 November 2006||565 × 811 (823 KB)||MapMaster||Improved map.|
|14:44, 18 November 2006||565 × 811 (827 KB)||MapMaster||Improved (I hope) version based on recommendations from Attilios.|
|21:50, 17 November 2006||565 × 811 (768 KB)||MapMaster||Political map of Italy in 1000 AD (CE).|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on an.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ar.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ast.wikipedia.org
- Usage on azb.wikipedia.org
- Usage on az.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bg.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bn.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ca.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on da.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor
- Otto II, Holy Roman Emperor
- List of historic states of Italy
- List of state leaders in the 10th century
- Duchy of Benevento
- Guaimar IV of Salerno
- Rainulf Drengot
- Duchy of Amalfi
- Emirate of Sicily
- Sergius IV of Naples
- List of Princes of Capua
- List of Princes of Salerno
- Principality of Capua
- Domenico Selvo
- History of Islam in southern Italy
- March of Tuscany
- Norman conquest of southern Italy
View more global usage of this file.