File:JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, VIEW TO NORTH OF BOAT BUILDING SIGN (STOP 11). - Jamestown Island Loop Road, Jamestown Island, Jamestown, James City County, VA HAER VA,48-JAM.V,1-10.tif

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Original file(5,000 × 4,056 pixels, file size: 19.34 MB, MIME type: image/tiff)

Structured data


Add a one-line explanation of what this file represents


Title JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, VIEW TO NORTH OF BOAT BUILDING SIGN (STOP 11). - Jamestown Island Loop Road, Jamestown Island, Jamestown, James City County, VA
Description Bureau of Public Roads; W H Scott, Incorporated; Adams Construction Company; Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities; Barney, Louise J; King, Sidney; Tyler, Lyon G; Yonge, Samuel H; Gregory, George C; Abbott, Stanley; Hatch, Charles; Riley, Edward; Royal, Nelson; Clarke, Gilmore D; Clarke and Rapuano; Peterson, Harold; Bennett, Michael G, historian; Bielecka, Magdalena, delineator
Depicted place Virginia; James City County; Jamestown
Date Documentation compiled after 1968
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
Accession number HAER VA,48-JAM.V,1-10
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

  • Significance: Completed in 1957, the Jamestown island loop road was the last road-building contract associated with the completion of the Colonial Parkway. Considered a "wilderness road," the five mile circuit is designed to provide a sense of the primitive isolation of the seventeenth century frontier. Along the short (three mile) and the full circuit, interpretive paintings by Sidney King depict the first settlers use and adaptation to the land. These paintings are representative of 1950s interpretive programs of the NPS at Colonial National Historical Park.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N409
  • Survey number: HAER VA-116
  • Building/structure dates: 1955-1958 Initial Construction
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the public domain in the United States. See the NPS website and NPS copyright policy for more information.

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

current12:16, 4 August 2014Thumbnail for version as of 12:16, 4 August 20145,000 × 4,056 (19.34 MB) (talk | contribs)GWToolset: Creating mediafile for Fæ. HABS 2014-08-02 (3401:3600)
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.