File:LT-SEM snow crystal magnification series-3.jpg
Low temperature scanning electron microscope  magnification series, from 93x to 36,000x magnification series, of a snow crystal.
Most samples of snow crystals are observed by researchers at relatively moderate magnifications (30X-500X), however the capabilities of the electron microscope allow observation of fine structures at over 100,000X. The following set of photographs demonstrates a magnification series using a low temperature scanning electron microscope (LT-SEM) covering this range. By contrast, the light microscope is only capable of viewing meaningful details at magnifications of about 1,000X and is very limited in depth of field. Snow samples are very fragile and exposure to the light necessary to photograph them, using light microscopes, can change structures and even melt them. Using LT-SEM, samples are frozen to temperatures below −170 degrees Celsius where they can be placed in a vacuum and observed for many hours with no structural changes. These photographs show the extraordinary symmetry of snow crystals even at high magnification. Magnification bars are accurate but X factors (lower left) are for 8"x10" prints.
Source: Created by Brian0918 from images at: http://www.anri.barc.usda.gov/emusnow/Magnification/Magnification.htm ; English Wikipedia, original upload 20 March 2005; Other versions:
- Image:LT-SEM snow crystal magnification series-3 frame.jpg - Showing just the first frame in the series.
|This image is in the public domain because it contains materials that originally came from the Agricultural Research Service, the research agency of the United States Department of Agriculture.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||09:44, 11 March 2007||900 × 3,994 (1.5 MB)||Julo||Przywrócono poprzednią wersję|
|12:41, 16 September 2005||900 × 3,994 (1.5 MB)||Saperaud~commonswiki||Low temperature scanning electron microscope [http://www.anri.barc.usda.gov/emusnow/4100/4100.htm] magnification series, from 93x to 36,000x magnification series, of a snow crystal. <br><br>''Most samples of snow crystals are observed by researche|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on ar.wikipedia.org
- Usage on az.wikibooks.org
- Usage on da.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Scanning electron microscope
- Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Scanning electron microscope
- Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/April-2005
- User talk:Brian0918/Free images
- Wikipedia:Picture of the day/May 2005
- Wikipedia:Featured pictures thumbs/01
- User talk:Brian0918/Archive 05
- Wikipedia:Picture of the day/May 10, 2005
- Wikipedia:POTD/May 10, 2005
- User talk:Brian0918/Featured gallery
- User:Cyde/Featured pictures
- User:Wikioogle=world take over/Cool/weird pictures
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Non-tropical storms
- Wikipedia:Featured pictures/Natural phenomena/Weather
- User:Runningonbrains/Portal next month
- Portal:Weather/Featured content/FP
- Portal:Weather/Featured content/FP/11
- Usage on eo.wikipedia.org
- Usage on et.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wikipedia.org
- Usage on kn.wikipedia.org
- Usage on nl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on no.wikipedia.org
- Usage on pl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on pt.wikipedia.org
- Usage on pt.wikibooks.org
- Usage on sl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on tr.wikipedia.org
- Vikipedi:Günün seçkin resmi/Mayıs 2012
- Vikipedi:Seçkin resimler/Bilim/Kimya
- Kullanıcı mesaj:Coriolis/Arşiv2011
- Vikipedi:Seçkin resim adayları/LT-SEM snow crystal magnification series-3.jpg
- Vikipedi:Seçkin resim adayları/Arşiv/Şubat 2011
- Şablon:GSR koruma/2012-05-10
- Vikipedi:Seçkin resimler/Ana sayfaya çıkmış resimler/2013 listesi
- Vikipedi:Seçkin resimler/Ana sayfaya çıkmış resimler/2012 listesi
- Vikipedi:Günün seçkin resmi/Aralık 2013
View more global usage of this file.