Minotaurus.gif (412 × 319 pixels, file size: 78 KB, MIME type: image/gif)
English: The Minotaur (represented here as a man's head and torso joined to a bull's body, in reverse of the Classical tradition showing a bull's head on a man's body) at the centre of the Labyrinth, depicted on a gem.
According to Hermann Kern (Through the Labyrinth, Prestel, 2000, item 371, p. 202), the original gem is in the Medici Collection in the Palazzo Strozzi, Florence. Kern assigns the gem to the 16th century, stating that Maffei "erroneously deemed the piece to be from Classical antiquity". (The Labyrinth is depicted in a style unknown in Classical times but common in the Renaissance.) The Minotaur is here represented (as not uncommonly in medieval and later times) as the reverse of the usual classical representation (a bull's head on a man's body). This is occasionally mistaken for a centaur; but the association with the Labyrinth makes it clear that it represents the Minotaur, and the artist has been careful to carve the hooves in bovine, not equine, form. The tuft on the belly is also typical of a bull, not a horse.
|Source||MAFFEI, P. A. "Gemmae Antiche," 1709, Pt. IV, pl. 31.|
|Author||Copied from en:Image:Minotaurus.gif, originally uploaded by en:User:Nidara.|
You must also include a United States public domain tag to indicate why this work is in the public domain in the United States.
|This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights.|
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||01:56, 18 April 2006||412 × 319 (78 KB)||Ilkant~commonswiki||The Minotaur at the centre of the labyrinth, depicted on an ancient gem.|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on cs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikiquote.org
- Usage on en.wikisource.org
- Usage on es.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fa.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wiktionary.org
- Usage on it.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ml.wikipedia.org
- Usage on nl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on no.wikipedia.org
- Usage on pt.wikipedia.org
- Usage on sk.wikipedia.org
- Usage on th.wikipedia.org
- Usage on tl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on uk.wikipedia.org
- Usage on uk.wikiquote.org
- Usage on www.wikidata.org