File:Perspective view from the southeast - Joseph Parks Farm, Barn, Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD HABS MD,22-SHARP.V,11-A-4.tif

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Original file(3,822 × 5,315 pixels, file size: 19.38 MB, MIME type: image/tiff)

Summary[edit]

Title Perspective view from the southeast - Joseph Parks Farm, Barn, Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD
Description Wagner, Martha, transmitter; Boucher, Jack E, photographer
Depicted place Maryland; Washington County; Sharpsburg
Date Documentation compiled after 1933; 2005
Dimensions 5 x 7 in.
Photographer Rosenthal, James W.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS MD,22-SHARP.V,11-A-4
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Structure name changed due to further research, 11/2005.
  • Significance: The property known today as the Joseph Parks Farm was purchased by Jacob Mumma in 1796. The barn was most likely constructed before 1821, when Jacob sold the property to his son John. John Mumma died in 1835, and the property was purchased back from the estate by Jacob, who sold it the following year to his younger son, Samuel. In 1861 Samuel Mumma sold the farm to Philip Pry Jr., who in turn leased the property to Joseph Parks. Parks, his wife Aletha, and their six children resided at the farm at the time of the Civil War battle of 17 September 1862. Located adjacent to Antietam Creek and its important 'Middle Bridge' crossing, the Joseph Parks Farm was occupied during the battle by infantry and artillery of the Union Army's 5th Corps, and by Cavalry under the command of General Pleasonton. The barn is believed to have sheltered some of the wounded. At some point in the late nineteenth century, an addition containing a wagon shed and corn crib was constructed at the east end of the barn. In 2003 the Joseph Parks Farm was acquired by the National Park Service, as part of Antietam National Battlefield.

The barn at the Joseph Parks Farm is a good example of a Pennsylvania bank barn, an agricultural building type introduced to the region by Swiss and German settlers in the mid-eighteenth century. Its asymmetrical gable ends identify it as a 'Sweitzer' type barn. The foundation and lower level exterior walls were built of limestone masonry construction. The lower level features a half-open cantilevered forebay along the south side, and housed feeding and milking stalls for livestock. An earthen ramp leads to the upper level on the north side of the barn. The upper level was built of heavy timber construction, with mortise-and-tenon and pegged joints. The barn is sheathed with vertical oak boards of random width. In plan, the upper level housed a central threshing area flanked by two hay/straw mows, with a granary located in the southeast corner.

  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1028
  • Survey number: HABS MD-940-A
References
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is
66000038
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/md1089.photos.216421p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the public domain in the United States. See the NPS website and NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Camera location39° 27′ 27″ N, 77° 44′ 57.01″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current14:35, 23 July 2014Thumbnail for version as of 14:35, 23 July 20143,822 × 5,315 (19.38 MB) (talk | contribs)GWToolset: Creating mediafile for Fæ. HABS 21 July 2014 (1601:1800)
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.

Metadata