File:Solidus Petronius Maximus-RIC 2201.jpg
Solidus_Petronius_Maximus-RIC_2201.jpg (500 × 244 pixels, file size: 72 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
- Source: English Wikipedia, original upload by Panairjdde
- Description: Petronius Maximus. 455 AD. AV Solidus (4.40 gm). Rome mint.
- D N PETRONIVS MA-XIMVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
- VICTORI-A AVGGG, Petronius standing facing, holding long cross and Victory on globe, right foot resting on human-headed serpent; R-M/COMOB.
RIC X 2201; Depeyrot 48/3; Lacam 5; DOCLR 874. From the William H. Williams Collection.
Following the assassination of Valentinian III in 455 AD, there was no male heir to the imperial throne. Petronius Maximus was chosen as the new emperor and he immediately married the wife of Valentinian, Licinia Eudoxia. Licinia, believing that Petronius was responsible for her late husband’s death, was not happy with the new arrangement, and she appealed to the Vandal king of Carthage, Gaiseric, for help. Gaiseric responded to Licinia’s plea and quickly sailed for Italy. Fearing for his life, Petronius decided to flee, but was abandoned by his body guard. While riding out of Rome on May 31, Petronius was stoned and killed. His reign lasted for only seventy days.
This work is free and may be used by anyone for any purpose. If you wish to use this content, you do not need to request permission as long as you follow any licensing requirements mentioned on this page.
Wikimedia Foundation has received an e-mail confirming that the copyright holder has approved publication under the terms mentioned on this page. This correspondence has been reviewed by an OTRS member and stored in our permission archive. The correspondence is available to trusted volunteers .If you have questions about the archived correspondence, please use the OTRS noticeboard.
Derivative works of this file: Solidus Petronius Maximus-RIC 2201 (cropped).jpg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||15:02, 30 September 2005||500 × 244 (72 KB)||Saperaud~commonswiki||*'''Source:''' English Wikipedia, original upload by Panairjdde *'''Description:''' Petronius Maximus. 455 AD. AV Solidus (4.40 gm). Rome mint. :<small>D N PETRONIVS MA-XIMVS P F AVG</small>, pea|
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on af.wikipedia.org
- Usage on an.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ar.wikipedia.org
- Usage on arz.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ast.wikipedia.org
- Usage on be.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bg.wikipedia.org
- Usage on br.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ca.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cy.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on diq.wikipedia.org
- Usage on el.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Usage on es.wikipedia.org
- Usage on eu.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fa.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fi.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fy.wikipedia.org
- Usage on gl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on he.wikipedia.org
- Usage on hr.wikipedia.org
- Usage on hu.wikipedia.org
- Usage on hy.wikipedia.org
- Usage on it.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ja.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ka.wikipedia.org
- Usage on la.wikipedia.org
- Usage on lt.wikipedia.org
- Usage on mk.wikipedia.org
View more global usage of this file.
This file contains additional information such as Exif metadata which may have been added by the digital camera, scanner, or software program used to create or digitize it. If the file has been modified from its original state, some details such as the timestamp may not fully reflect those of the original file. The timestamp is only as accurate as the clock in the camera, and it may be completely wrong.
|Horizontal resolution||72 dpi|
|Vertical resolution||72 dpi|
|Software used||Adobe Photoshop 7.0|
|File change date and time||23:40, 30 November 2002|