File:St. Simons Lighthouse, GA.jpg
Original file (4,146 × 3,317 pixels, file size: 2.08 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
English: The current Lighthouse and Keeper’s Dwelling were completed in 1872. Orlando Poe, chief engineer for the U.S. Lighthouse Board, supervised the design. Charles Cluskey, architect of many outstanding buildings in Georgia, served as contractor from 1868 until his death in 1871.
The Lighthouse is 104 feet tall and constructed of Savannah grey brick. It is 21 feet in diameter at the base, tapering to 10 foot in diameter at the base of the gallery. Its spiral cast iron staircase is encased within an 8 foot wide column, leaving space between the exterior and interior brick walls for the original rotational weight system of the lens. The decorative iron brackets supporting the Lighthouse gallery at the top echo the elements of Italianate architecture in the Keeper’s Dwelling design.Since 1872, a 3rd order Fresnel lens, made in France, has projected the light that guides mariners into St. Simons Sound. The light was converted from kerosene oil lamp to electricity in 1934 and automated in the mid-1950s, ending the need for a resident keeper.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||09:30, 26 September 2018||4,146 × 3,317 (2.08 MB)||JStephanMease||User created page with UploadWizard|
- You cannot overwrite this file.