File:St John's Almshouses, Sherborne-geograph-3989460-by-Neil-Owen.jpg
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Original file (2,304 × 1,704 pixels, file size: 1.77 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
English: St John's Almshouses. Close by the abbey, this provision is the finest example of mediaeval almshouses in Wessex. It was founded under a licence of King Henry VI on 10th January 1437. The Deed states its purposes thus: 'Twelve pore feeble and ympotent old men and four old women' to be cared for by a housewife whose duty was to 'feeche in and dyght to the victaill wash wrying make beddys and al other things do'. Work on the original building finished in 1448 but has since had more additional done, particularly in Victorian times. A scene from "Far from the Madding Crowd" (2015) was filmed here.
(required by the license)
|Neil Owen / St John's Almshouses /|
|Camera location||View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth|
|Object location||View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth|
|This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.|
|Attribution: Neil Owen|
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||17:57, 25 January 2018||2,304 × 1,704 (1.77 MB)||Judithcomm||User created page with UploadWizard|
- You cannot overwrite this file.