File:The new magnascanner (15469717763).jpg

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Original file(4,463 × 4,211 pixels, file size: 10.64 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)

Summary[edit]

Description
English: St. Joseph's Hospital, Sarnia, Ontario.

The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of London had been invited by the Sarnia City Council in 1942 to open a hospital in Sarnia. Construction of the hospital began in 1944, and after numerous delays due to shortage of materials and labour during WW II, one floor was finally opened in 1945 to meet the acute need for hospital beds. St. Joseph’s Hospital was fully operational with 150 beds on March 1, 1946. The formal opening ceremony for St. Joseph’s Hospital was held on October 18, 1946. The Honourable George A. Drew, Premier of Ontario cut the ribbon. Bishops J.T. Kidd and J.C. Cody (Coadjutor, Bishop), and priests from London and Detroit were present. Officials from other hospitals were also present.
The entire million-dollar project was funded by the Sisters of St. Joseph. They received no financial assistance from the government and only a $10,000 grant from the City of Sarnia. The units were filled with both Canadian and American patients from Port Huron and the state of Michigan.
The Sisters carried out active nursing roles and administrative duties. In the early days, nursing, technical, and domestic staff were difficult to find. Many of the staff were mothers of families who could only work occasionally. Students from St. Joseph’s Training School of Nursing in London helped fill the nursing rota, and were hired permanently after graduation. Because of the nursing shortage, innovations were made such as the central distribution of medicines and central surgical supply rooms.
After many years and much expansion, and after serving the needs of countless patients, the Sisters decided to withdraw from active service due to their diminishing numbers. St. Joseph’s Hospital was officially re-opened as St. Joseph’s Health Centre on October 12, 1990. This was the amalgamation of St. Joseph’s Hospital, the Continuing Care Centre (formerly the Chronic Care Facility), Sarnia-Lambton Workers’ Treatment Centre, and a Day Hospital. The name change reflects a concomitant change in service provision and governance. St. Joseph’s Health Centre no longer served as exclusively as an in-patient treatment centre for the critically ill. It also provided long-term care beds and outpatient treatment.

In January 1995, the Sisters donated their residence at 430 London Road to St. Joseph Health Centre to be used as a hospice. On January 29, 1998, the St. Joseph’s Health Centre joined in partnership with the Charlotte Eleanor Engleheart Hospital and the Sarnia General Hospital by signing the Strategic Alliance Agreement. In April 2003, ownership of St. Joseph’s Health Centre was given to the Lambton County Hospital Group.
Date
Source https://www.flickr.com/photos/csj_canada_archives/15469717763/
Author Congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada
Permission
(Reusing this file)

At the time of upload, the image license was automatically confirmed using the Flickr API. For more information see Flickr API detail.

Flickr sets
  • London Sisters - Healthcare
Flickr tags
  • Sisters of St. Joseph
  • London Ontario
  • Sarnia Ontario
  • Healthcare
  • Hospital
  • Radiology
  • sisters of st. joseph
  • london ontario
  • sarnia ontario
Flickr posted date

Licensing[edit]

This image was taken from Flickr's The Commons. The uploading organization may have various reasons for determining that no known copyright restrictions exist, such as:
  1. The copyright is in the public domain because it has expired;
  2. The copyright was injected into the public domain for other reasons, such as failure to adhere to required formalities or conditions;
  3. The institution owns the copyright but is not interested in exercising control; or
  4. The institution has legal rights sufficient to authorize others to use the work without restrictions.

More information can be found at https://flickr.com/commons/usage/.


Please add additional copyright tags to this image if more specific information about copyright status can be determined. See Commons:Licensing for more information.
Checked copyright icon.svg This image was originally posted to Flickr by Congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada at https://flickr.com/photos/126364681@N08/15469717763. It was reviewed on by FlickreviewR and was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the No known copyright restrictions.

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current14:09, 5 August 2015Thumbnail for version as of 14:09, 5 August 20154,463 × 4,211 (10.64 MB) (talk | contribs)== {{int:filedesc}} == {{subst:chc}} {{information |description={{en|1=St. Joseph's Hospital, Sarnia, Ontario.<br> The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Diocese of London had been invited by the Sarnia City Council in 1942 to open a hospital in Sarnia. Cons...
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

There are no pages that use this file.

Metadata