This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.
This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.
Significance: The Lea Institute of Hygiene, commonly called Smith Halls, is an early research institute on the University of Pennsylvania campus. The building was the design of mid-Victorian architects Collins and Autenrieth in consultation with its first director, John Shaw Billings (1839-1913). Billings was an early advocate of hygienic design: the Lea Institute of Hygiene marked the continuation of ideas represented by the design for the Johns Hopkins Hospital a generation earlier. Later alterations for new functions have changed the original balanced design but the original fabric is generally intact. Its last use was as a fine arts studio, and academic classrooms. The building forms a part of the University of Pennsylvania Historic District and stands across the street from the National Landmark Furness Building.
Survey number: HABS PA-6175
Building/structure dates: 1891 Initial Construction
This file contains additional information such as Exif metadata which may have been added by the digital camera, scanner, or software program used to create or digitize it. If the file has been modified from its original state, some details such as the timestamp may not fully reflect those of the original file. The timestamp is only as accurate as the clock in the camera, and it may be completely wrong.