Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich of Russia (1831-1891)
- Do not confuse with his son, Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich of Russia (1856-1929).
Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich (Russian language: Великий князь Николай Николаевич) (born July 27, 1831 in Tsarskoye Selo, died April 13, 1891 in Alupka) was the third son and sixth child of Tsar Nicholas I of Russia and Alexandra Feodorovna . He may also be referred to as Nicholas Nicolaievich the Elder to tell him apart from his son. Trained for the military, as a Field Marshal he commanded the Russian army of the Danube in the en:Russo-Turkish War, 1877–1878.
Nicholas Nicolaievich married his second cousin Grand Duchess Alexandra Petrovna, formerly Princess Alexandra of Oldenburg (1838-1900), whose paternal grandmother was a daughter of Emperor Paul I. They had two children:
- Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich of Russia the Younger (1856–1929)
- Grand Duke Peter Nikolaevich of Russia (1864–1931)
The marriage was in trouble from the start and four years later, Nicholas developed a permanent relationship with Catherine Chislova, a dancer from the Krasnoye Selo Theater. Their affair was quite open and they had five children:
- Olga Nikolaevna Nikolaeva, (1868 - 1950) m. Prince Michael Cantacuzene
- Vladimir Nikolaevich Nikolaev (1873 - 1942)
- Catherine Nikolaevna Nikolaeva (1874 - 1940)
- Nicholas Nikolaevich Nikolaev (1875 -1902)
- Galina Nikolaevna Nikolaeva (1877 - 1878)
with his wife Grand Duchess Alexandra Petrovna