Help talk:Contents/Archive 1
- 1 Voir aussi
- 2 New tool for Wikipedia > Commons transfers
- 3 Question: other languages
- 4 Ayuda en Español
- 5 Print Screen
- 6 Como añadir una imagen?
- 7 Can't edit Image
- 8 How to delete a file?
- 9 Why not .html?
- 10 Help on Search
- 11 Image:Mozart - vesperae de dominica. 2. confitebor.ogg
- 12 Renaming/moving a file
- 13 Assistance
- 14 Updating old dated image in wikipedia
- 15 How do you create a category?
- 16 Question about license
- 17 SVG images
- 18 Updating images
- 19 Bug in SVG rendering
- 20 Reuse
- 21 File origin
- 22 Need help on how to contribute
- 23 Uploading a Psd with layers
- 24 George Eastman House Collection
- 25 Let's have a decent Search by media type please!
- 26 The Wikimedia Commons page User talk:Oliver Castaño Mallorca
- 27 help PD-France
- 28 Please delete picture
--I am over here occasionally and check recent changes and would like to know where the test templates for vandalism are located. All I can do now is revert. Cheers. --Dakota ~ 08:58, 17 March 2006 (UTC)
- Not sure if you've figured this out yet, but... we don't have templates. If you feel it is necessary, you can just write a note yourself on their talk page. pfctdayelise (translate?) 15:10, 8 April 2006 (UTC)
New tool for Wikipedia > Commons transfers
Came across this "Commonshelper". It semi-automates moving images to Commons from Wikipedia with a correct history summary. I think it should be mentioned prominently here. - RoyBoy 03:59, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
Question: other languages
- Because the page is not ready yet it hasn't been translated. Arnomane 20:16, 25 June 2006 (UTC)
Good day. I have some problem with my password. Two monthes ago I have recieved a new password for wikipedia. I have changed it in wikipedia, and previous password deleted. But when i tried to log in commons i have understood that in commons is my previous password which i forgot. Near 10 times i ask news password by e-mail in commons. But i have not it yet. What i should do, becouse i have a lot of materials and this fool mistake stop my work. Thank for you help. My nickname is ДмитрОст. My e-mail is email@example.com.
I have the same problem. I can log in to Wikipedia (with a new password), but not in Commons. (I am Tengil)
Ayuda en Español
Pueden colocar por vafor la ayuda en el idioma Castellano o Español que igual sirve, pero todos no sabemos hablar ingles, gracias. --AS990 17:30, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
Is Print Screen "forbidden" in the Wikipedia Commons? I mean, getting a print screen of my computer (for example, during a game) and uploading it to the Commons is against rules? Would I be violating copyrights? Best Wishes Nospheratus 22:23, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
- See Commons:Screenshots. If you want an answer in less than two years for your next question, ask on the Help desk. --Teratornis (talk) 20:35, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
Como añadir una imagen?
Ncesito ayuda pa añadir la bandera de Ajaccio, la tengo pero no se como añadirla. Aqui esta: File:Bandera Ajaccio.GIF
Can't edit Image
don't seem to edit, delete or put deltion tag on following images: Hepatic steatosis.svg,Hepatic steatosis-edit.svg, which i uploaded and has mistakes. new version is Steatosis.svg. thanks --Drriad 17:37, 21 May 2007 (UTC)
How to delete a file?
How can I delete a file? (my own upploaded file) I'd like to delete this two (wrong name):
--Saippuakauppias 11:58, 28 May 2007 (UTC)
Insert non-formatted text here==Afbeelding Wikimedia Commons== Wil een moderator eens kijken naar het volgende: I don't understand why there is a picture of the restore of a wooden building in Vukovar on this site of the Parthenon Wikimedia Commons. This is in Kroatië. If correct please remove this picture.--220.127.116.11 16:18, 11 May 2007 (UTC) Ik begrijp niet wat deze afbeelding met het Parthenon te maken heeft. Als deze daar niet hoort, kan een moderator deze dan verwijderen?--18.104.22.168 13:48, 2 June 2007 (UTC)
Why not .html?
- You would have to ask the MediaWiki developers. As with most feature requests, it's not so much a decision to "deprive" users of features, but rather that adding features generally requires time, work, money, and qualified people. (And with every new feature comes a risk of breaking some existing feature, which means more testing and debugging i.e. money.) It's like asking why you are depriving yourself of a Superyacht - unless you are extremely wealthy, you are not "depriving" yourself of some expensive luxury which is beyond your means. Also note that your question is very cryptic. You linked to another wiki, which seems to have some interesting features, but how many hours would someone have to spend trying to figure out what you are talking about? You will be more convincing if you remember that other people cannot read your mind. You should clearly explain the specific feature(s) you think Commons should have. --Teratornis (talk) 21:56, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
Hello I want to introduce my product pv inverter, if you have any question about them, please contact us and land our website http://www.omnik-solar.me.uk, many thanks.
Help on Search
Hello, is there any information on the Wikipedia / Commons Search functionality available? I am looking for the possibility to use operators like AND, OR, NOT ... --WikipediaMaster (talk) 12:21, 21 June 2008 (UTC)
- See w:Help:Search and w:WP:EIW#Search. Why are you asking here and not on the Help desk? --Teratornis (talk) 21:59, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
Image:Mozart - vesperae de dominica. 2. confitebor.ogg
It says attribution required, but to whom? --22.214.171.124 19:28, 27 June 2008 (UTC)
vanessa guimaraes rodrigues
Renaming/moving a file
It has been pointed out on en.wiki that Image:Sir Harry Smith.gif is not actually of Sir Harry Smith, but of his father John. This is evident from an online version of Sir Harry's autobiography here (direct link to image for comparison here). The image seems to have been validly uploaded, just misidentified. I assume that one of the other images from the book could be uploaded as a replacement? David Underdown (talk) 08:50, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
I found this website which has a lot of images (in this case I'm linking to Tom Welling's profile), and they say that they have collected these images as free media. Is it truly trustworthy, and if so, should/could we upload these images here? Bignole (talk) 19:48, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
- My guess would be: no way. Commons:Licensing says: A license can only be granted by the copyright holder, which is usually the author (photographer, painter or similar). The site you linked to merely says:
- All pictures contained on pages herein were collected freely from the internet and are believed to be public domain. If you own the copyright to any images that appear on this site, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will remove all offending images.
- In other words, the site is a shovelware mix of free photos and copyrighted photos, which the site owners made no attempt to sort out. They are telling the copyright owners the burden is on them to determine whether the site is infringing any copyrights. That's far short of the standard on Commons, which is to assume everything is copyrighted unless we know for certain it is not. The burden of proof is on us, not on the copyright owners. For future reference, note that this question belongs on the Help desk, where you might get an answer in a few days rather than a few months. --Teratornis (talk) 20:32, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
Updating old dated image in wikipedia
I propose that the newer high resolution image http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Central-african-republic_hi_res_ds.png should replace the older image of the central african republic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_arms_of_the_Central_African_Republic.png I have no idea how to do this, I don't have enough experience with editing in wikipedia. Can someone please help?Sangonet (talk) 23:45, 4 March 2009 (UTC)
How do you create a category?
Question about license
I´ve loaded up this image: File:Jungstahlhelm.jpg. But I don´t which license I sould coose, no one matchs.
I used to be able to click on an SVG image and it would open in my inkscape program. Now I am getting an SVG rendered as PNG images in different resolutions: 200px, 500px, 1000px, 2000px. Is this a recent change or is this a browser of viewr problem. I can tget files in SVG back that I uploaded to update now.--Amadscientist (talk) 07:26, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
I have been trying to update File: World homosexuality laws.svg, yet, I get an error message that states the name of the file already exists and to try a new file name - instead of overriding it like it should. There is no option to "continue". And there is an odd red "$1" inside an image template. Is there a way to fix this problem? --Haha169 (talk) 02:55, 19 September 2009 (UTC)
Bug in SVG rendering
There is a bug in rendering svg files.
See image on right, text in parantheses appear like "()os frontale" although when you go to the SVG image itself the image displays properly as "(os frontale)". Same behavior in IE and Firefox. --InfoCan (talk) 20:38, 18 December 2009 (UTC)
I make occasional use of Commons for media uploads, and rely heavily for it on en Wikinews.
A friend has asked me to set up a laptop for his kids to use. I'm installing Ubuntu on it; he wants Tux Paint which they apparently already know how to use.
- For this specific need, you should perhaps consider the clipart of the Open Clip Art Library project (see also Category:PD OpenClipart), which is already packaged for Ubuntu. Other than that, I don't know of any easy way to download from Commons all files in a category (using CatScan with CSV results plus some shell scripting with wget/curl should do the trick, but that's not easy). -- (talk) 14:33, 5 January 2010 (UTC)
- This file RomanianOriginswas made by User:Ryanaxp. It did not have a source, but i found this A grammar of modern Indo-European (its figure 47 at page 76). The book is a 2007 edition if i am not mistaken, and Ryanaxp made uploaded the file on July 31, 2005, so did the guy who wrote the book (Carlos Quiles) take the file from wiki?
- also i myself made another version of the map Other versionMegistias (talk) 23:44, 15 February 2010 (UTC)
Need help on how to contribute
How can I contribute to wikimedia commons. I honestly have no idea what to do or how to contribute. Should I start by uploading images? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Immunize (talk) 00:28, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
Uploading a Psd with layers
- I want to upload a psd file with its layers? Do i just follow the same procedure as with other files? Its a psd of this Noah mapMegistias (talk) 17:51, 20 February 2010 (UTC)
- The system does no allow psd files, but photoshop does not seem to convert to svg, and inkscape does not open the psd files. Any ideas on how to make the psd to svg?Megistias (talk) 19:21, 20 February 2010 (UTC)
- Well, .psd is Photoshop's bitmap proprietary format, so it's should be obvious why (a) it cannot be exported as SVG (SVG is mainly a vector format: it can also embed bitmapped images, but that is sort of pointless, because it wouln't be resolution-indipendent, which is the main reason SVG and other vector file formats are wanted) and (b) why Commons does not accept it (it's a proprietary format). See Commons:File types for a list of accepted formats and descriptions -- (talk) 15:57, 21 February 2010 (UTC)
George Eastman House Collection
Let's have a decent Search by media type please!
I was recently quite astonished to find out that it is NOT possible to search Commons by media type. Yes you can look at category 'Media types' or 'Audio files', etc. and get a partial something there. The root problem is that the process of technical classification (as opposed to semantic) seems left to users, and therefore I suspect that MOST of the image, sound and video content of Commons is not well categorized (if at all). Can a .jpg or .svg be something else than an image, an .ogg something else than a sound, an .ogv something else than a video? A bot could 'raw categorize' everything in a minute, if somebody would bother to write one, or Jimbo put a little money in it... -- Alain R 3 4 5
Techno-Wiki-Geek 17:51, 7 June 2010 (UTC)
HELP this page
User talk:Oliver Castaño Mallorca What´s gallery space indexed with other name daniel ; address http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/Gallery.php?wikifam=commons.wikimedia.org&wikilang=en&order=-img_timestamp img_user_text=Olivercastaño&ofs=25&max=25; there must be someone doing a boicot ? or this is like normal?
The Wikimedia Commons page User talk:Oliver Castaño Mallorca
has been changed on 19 May 2011 by anonymous user 126.96.36.199, see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Oliver_Casta%C3%B1o_Mallorca for the current revision.
//See http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Oliver_Casta%C3%B1o_Mallorca&diff=0&oldid=47902015 for all changes since your last visit.//
Sorries EDITOR why not do this the changes? Editor's summary: /* /*Fisionotrazo*/ */ new section with more categories where are them?
commons.wikimedia.org, by Date (reverse), with User = Olivercastaño Why the address link of the gallery section appear with other name indexed http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/Gallery.php; is not daniel is oliver thought at the end yes ?wikifam=commons.wikimedia.org&wikilang=en&order=-img_timestamp&img_user_text=Olivercastaño&ofs=25&max=25; that´s maybe mind for the removed on commons, is natural[?] thks a lot.
Hello, i need help. I would upload an image of Tour de France 1924, using PD-France. So anyone can tell mwe if I can do it? This is an italian magazine Lo Sport Fascista p. 35. Thanks --Cucuriello (talk) 17:58, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
Please delete picture
Hi, there was a problem in the process of edit that picture: Nettelberg Vlotho 2012-05-16-3848.jpg. In the case it is stored, please delete it, I had load a new picture with the needed dates (Please excuse my bad english, thx) --Gwexter (talk) 20:11, 19 May 2012 (UTC)