The fjord and its branches
Panoramics and views
View in direction south with parts of the mountain w:Esja
View from mountain pass Ferstikluháls in direction of w:Faxaflói and the mouth of the fjord
Aerial view of w:Reykjavík, Faxaflói and Hvalfjörður
Branches of Hvalfjörður
The church, like the bigger one in Reykjavík, is named after lutheran minister and poet w:Hallgrímur Pétursson (1614-74).
Infrastructure around Hvalfjörður
Restaurants and gas stations
The road follows the fjord's coast and was part of the Hringvegur before the tunnel was opened in 1998.
Road 47 at the south side of the fjord; in the background some volcanic mountains of w:Ice Age origin :Hvalfell, Múlafjall and Botnssúlur
Road no. 1 tunnel under Hvalfjörður
The tunnel was constructed from 1996 to 1998, is open since July 11, 1998 and has a length of 5.770 m. This part of the Hringvegur is a toll road.