Locator maps of province-level divisions of the People's Republic of China
- New provincial borders that were officially determined and fixed in 2002. The main revisions were in the area where the borders of Gansu, Qinghai, and Xinjiang intersect.
- Disputed areas are given as much NPOV treatment as possible.
- Dark blue areas are those claimed but not controlled by the People's Republic of China. This includes Taiwan and some surrounding areas, controlled by the Republic of China; the Diaoyu Islands / Senkaku Shoto, controlled by Japan; and Arunachal Pradesh, controlled by India.
- Light blue areas are those claimed by other countries. This includes Aksai Chin, controlled by India. (When overlapping with the dark red highlight, this colour becomes purple.)
- The Paracel, Macclesfield, and Spratly Islands are omitted, because the area covered is too large and the situation too complex to fit into a simple locator map.
- The recent Sino-Russian boundary agreement has resolved all ongoing Sino-Russian boundary disputes. As such, disputed areas are not shown. The maps assume (as per various news sources) that Russia will be giving China control over Yinlong Island / Tarabarov Island and the eastern part of Heixiazi Island / Bolshoy Ussuriysky Island at the confluence of the Amur and Ussuri Rivers.