From the waterfront northeast to Western Avenue and from Union Street northwest roughly to Virginia Street. With the following two maps, this provides a detailed view of the terrain of today's Market area in 1905, shortly before the Market began.
1905: From Western Avenue northeast to Second Avenue and from Stewart Street northwest to Blanchard Street
1905: From Western Avenue northeast to Second Avenue and from Union Street northwest roughly to Stewart Street.
1920: Market and environs before the streets were reconfigured by the Alaskan Way Viaduct.
This George Hager cartoon in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on the Market's opening day (August 17, 1907) celebrates the opportunity for consumers to buy direct: "Mr. Producer and Mr. Consumer Meet Today"
The Times-Bulletin expressed similar sentiments the previous day. A market-goer rides his horse past the Commission Trust hog to market. Headline says "Back to the simple life." The caption says "To market, to market, in spite of the hog / Home again, home again, joggety jog".
The Market on a busy day in 1907 or 1908, before the completion of the first arcade.
Farmers selling in the Market, 1910.
Pike Place, 1913.
Pike Place, 1919. The North Arcade is at right. In the background is the old Washington National Guard Armory that was demolished c. 1968.
Looking the other direction on Pike Place, 1919.
Looking south by southeast from roughly Virginia Street below Western Avenue in 1909, with Pike Place Market in background at left.
This 1921 picture, looking north(-ish) on Western Avenue gives a particularly good view of the armory. The bridge is an early form of today's Joe Desimone Bridge. The Municipal Market (demolished c. 1974) would either have been under construction or merely planned at left. The North Arcade is at right.
Department of Weights and Measures inspecting scales, 1916.
The "canonical" view of the corner of Pike Street and Pike Place, looking southwest on Pike Street from First Avenue. The building at right with the "Meet the Producer" sign is the Leland Hotel, surrounded by the Main Arcade. Left of the Market's neon sign is the LaSalle Hotel. At extreme left is part of the Economy Market.
A similar view at night during the Holiday Season.
View across Pike Place Market to Elliott Bay; Pike Place and North Arcade in foreground.
From the same viewpoint, but centered on Pike Place.
Looking northwest on Pike Place. Main Market and North Arcade on left; Corner Market, Sanitary Market, and other buildings on right.
Pike Street façade of Corner Market.
Beechers Cheese, Seattle Garden Center Building.
Western Avenue view of the Main Market / Fairley Building / "Down Under"
Entrance to Lower Post Alley from First and Pike.
Looking up that same street.
Lower Post Alley.
Upper Post Alley; Stewart House at left.
Courtyard off of Post Alley behind Stewart House.
The Joe Desimone Bridge originally connected the North Arcade to the now-demolished Municipal Market Building.
Another view of the Desimone Bridge.
Ruins of the Municipal Market Building.
Market Heritage Center (museum).
Footbridge across Western Avenue, Market Heritage Center and parking garage entrance.
On that footbridge.
Another view of the parking garage bridge.
The Pike Hill Climb leads down to the Central Waterfront.
Victor Steinbrueck Park at the northwest corner of the Market.
Several notable buildings in or adjacent to the Market Historical District are outside of the Market proper, mainly along First Avenue.
The privately-owned South Arcade.
On the "water" side of the South Arcade at the corner of Western and Union is the former U.S. Immigration Building, once Seattle's "Ellis Island".
The Gatewood stands across from the Market at Pine Street.
The Butterworth Building. At left, a portion of the Alaska Trade Building can also be seen, and at right the Smith Block (which dates from 1906 but is not a listed building). The three buildings were jointly restored by Ralph Anderson & Partners in 1977.
Landes Block (also known as the Hotel Livingston or the Livingston-Baker Apartments), includes the century-old corner bar Virginia Inn and (down below on Post Alley) the Pike Market Medical Clinic.