Template:Tornado 60163 24 March 2009 Notes
On 24 March 2009 Tornado and support coach called at Sheffield Midland station to take part in the naming of an East Midlands Trains Class 222 "Meridian" high speed diesel electric multiple unit in honour of Tornado. The ceremony was integrated as part of a positioning move from York NRM to Barrow Hill, Chesterfield, in readiness for Tornado headlining their LNER II steam gala on 3/4 April.
East Midlands Meridian No. 222003, was to be named on honour of Tornado, with 222003 chosen specifically because one of its driving cars (Coach A, a DMSO) had the same vehicle number as Tornado, 60163 (driving car in this context simply means a carriage with a driver's cab, on the Class 222 DEMU all carriages carry diesel engines and electric motors, the number 222003 designates to the full 7 car formation)
Due to the booked route for the positioning run, (arriving via Moorthorpe and Meadowhall on the Wakefield Line, leaving via Woodhouse and Beighton, on the Sheffield to Lincoln Line and Midland Main Line, Tornado would be both arriving and leaving from the northern approach of Sheffield station, meaning that without any turning facilities, Tornado would have to 'run around' its support coach and the second leg from Sheffield would run 'tender first' (the locomotive moving 'backwards' trailing the coach behind it) to Barrow Hill.
In order to run around, and to be positioned correctly for the ceremony, Tornado performed a series of manouvres around the platforms of Sheffield station (See station layout image). The full sequence of movements at the station were as follows:
- 60163 Tornado and support coach arrives from the north into Sheffield station 'right way round', routed into Platform 1. (10.31 GMT)
- 60163 Tornado moves forward and uncouples her support coach in a southern loop ( )
- 60163 Tornado moves forward through the southern tunnel to clear the points for the next manouvre
- 60163 Tornado reverses into Platform 5 to clear the points for the next manouvre
- 60163 Tornado moves forward into the southern approaches to clear the points for the next manouvre
- 60163 Tornado reverses into bay Platform 7 ready for the naming ceremony ( )
- DEMU 222003 arrives from the south into Sheffield station, routed into Platform 8, with DMSO car 60163 (Caoch A) at the rear, drawing up alongside 60163 Tornado across the platform. (10.59 GMT)
- In front of invited guests, the cover is removed from 222003's new nameplate, revealing the name Tornado
- DEMU 222003 Tornado leaves Sheffield station going south, returning the way it came. (11.27 GMT)
- 60163 Tornado manouvres across the tracks to the northern end of the parked support coach (it is unknown if this was via Platform 5 or not), and recouples to it
- 60163 Tornado departs Sheffield the way she came, travelling northbound, this time 'tender first'. (approx 12.00 GMT)