What is the (red and strangely named) Category:Pages that use Template:iL good for? If I want to know which pages use this template (and why should I??), I could use Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:il. Any objections if I just remove it from the template? --Mormegil 12:54, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- I have now created this category, I'm sorry I neglected to do so previously. This category lists pages that use Template:iL AKA Template:Il to list Image Lineitems or provide Image Links, as recommended by Help:Mass deletion request, and pages that transclude such pages. Most of such pages are mass deletion requests. This category is named strangely because of the similarity between the uppercase "i" and the lowercase "L". Yes I would object if you were to "just remove it from the template". — Jeff G. (talk|contribs) 20:20, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
I understand it is recommended to use this template, and I understand what does the template do. I don’t understand why the category. I have found no mention of the category on that help page and I cannot imagine what is it good for. We don’t have e.g. Category:Pages that use Template:TL and why should we? If I want a list of pages that use Template:IL, I can use the abovementioned Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:Il. What is the reason for the category – why did you create it in the first place? --Mormegil 09:03, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
- I created it for a number of reasons:
- I wanted to see who was using the template.
- I typically create categories for templates I create.
- I wanted an easy way to find mass deletion requests.
- Gotta run! — Jeff G. (talk|contribs) 13:01, 10 December 2007 (UTC)
- As I said: you can use Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:Il for that.
- “I typically create” is a weak reason, IMHO. There are many templates on Commons, and this is definitely not a standard thing, AFAICT.
- In addition to the Whatlinkshere tool, this is not very exact: the template can be used in many other ways, you cannot distinguish mass deletion request by such universal template.
--Mormegil 23:07, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
- I agree. The category is pointless. Not everyone that makes mass deletion requests use this, and not everyone that uses this makes mass deletion requests. A easy way to find mass DRs is to simply scroll through COM:DEL. They're not that hard to miss. Or add something to one of those templates. Is it ok if I remove and delete the category or should I list it for deletion? Rocket000 18:07, 10 January 2008 (UTC)