Template talk:UN map-2
I made this template to avoid the old and unverifiable ticket of Template:UN map, but mainly to use a more correct text.
UN material is not automatically in the Public Domain, as sometimes material of a third party is used ---> UN Guidelines for the publication of maps. For example commercial satellite images. Also photos are not Public Domain unless otherwise stated. http://www.unmultimedia.org/photo/guidelines.jsp
OCHAoPt (United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs occupied Palestinian territory) is part of the United Nations, but has documents with different copyrights. E1 Jerusalem Satellite Barrier August05 on http://www.ochaopt.org/mapstopic.aspx?id=108&page=2, e.g., includes a copyrighted satellite image from Space Imaging Middle East (LLC). E1 Jerusalem Graphic Barrier August05, on the same page, is from OCHAoPt itself, without a copyright indication. East Jerusalem: Key Humanitarian Concerns (page 6) has a map with the indication that you may use it, provided that you explicitly refer to United Nations OCHAoPt. Apparently, the organisation has choosen to promote itself by means of the images. --Wickey-nl (talk) 11:49, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
The basic rules should be:
- Unmodified UN maps without copyrighted material of Third Parties should have the UN map-2 (or UN map) tag, to indicate that it is in the Public Domain, pursuant to general UN policy ---> See http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/english/about.htm about maps from the United Nations, and the ticket referred to in Template:UN map (also compare with US Government documents, which are in the Public Domain).
- Unmodified UN maps should keep UN name and logo, as well as existing disclaimers, such as “The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on this map do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.”---> See UN Guidelines for the publication of maps.
- If you adapt a UN map, it should have an appropiate alternate tag, such as PD, CC BY-SA or GNU (as used in Wikipedia). As it is no longer a UN map, UN name and logo, as well as disclaimers should be removed. You may indicate that the new map is based on UN source ...
- If the original UN map may be used only with the provision that the UN source is mentioned (as in some OCHAoPt documents), you may choose one of the above two options (but not the PD tag), but the attribution to the original UN source should always be remained as indicated by that source.
--Wickey-nl (talk) 09:09, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
Can this template be redirected to Template:UN map?
The text viewable by readers is currently exactly the same in both templates. The only difference I see is that Template:UN map puts files into Category:UN maps. --Timeshifter (talk) 23:52, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
- This template was made to test if it is OK. They can be merged now. --Wickey-nl (talk) 17:01, 27 September 2014 (UTC)
- OK. I redirected the page to Template:UN map. I don't know how long it will take for the software to completely finish changing the templates on the pages using Template:UN map-2. But people will not notice any difference since the templates have the same text. --Timeshifter (talk) 19:24, 28 September 2014 (UTC)