Title 17 of the United States Code
Copyright Law of the United States
This publication contains the text of title 17 of the United States Code, including all amendments enacted by Congress through June 30, 2016. It includes the Copyright Act of 1976 and all subsequent amendments to copyright law; the Semiconductor Chip Protection Act of 1984, as amended; and the Vessel Hull Design Protection Act, as amended. The Copyright Office is responsible for registering intellectual property claims under all three.
The United States copyright law is contained in chapters 1 through 8 and 10 through 12 of title 17 of the United States Code. The Copyright Act of 1976, which provides the basic framework for the current copyright law, was enacted on October 19, 1976, as Pub. L. No. 94-553, 90 Stat. 2541. The 1976 Act was a comprehensive revision of the copyright law in title 17. Listed below in chronological order of their enactment are the Copyright Act of 1976 and subsequent amendments to title 17.
Chapters 9 and 13 of title 17 contain two types of design protection that are independent of copyright protection. Chapter 9 of title 17 is the Semiconductor Chip Protection Act of 1984 (SCPA), as amended. The SCPA was enacted as title III of Pub. L. No. 98-620, 98 Stat. 3335, 3347, on November 8, 1984. Chapter 13 of title 17 is the Vessel Hull Design Protection Act (VHDPA), as amended. The VHDPA was enacted on October 28, 1998, as title V of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Pub. L. No. 105-304, 112 Stat. 2860, 2905. Subsequent amendments to the title 17 provisions for SCPA and the VHDPA are also included in the list below, in chronological order of their enactment. (text copied from https://www.copyright.gov/title17/)
U.S. Copyright Law, December 2016 (PDF, 2.04 MB)
Title 17 of the United States Code is the United States Code that outlines United States copyright law. It was codified into positive law on July 30, 1947. The latest version is from December 2016.
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 1 —Subject Matter and Scope of Copyright
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 2 —Copyright Ownership and Transfer
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 3 —Duration of Copyright
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 4 —Copyright Notice, Deposit, and Registration
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 5 —Copyright Infringement and Remedies
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 6 —Manufacturing Requirements and Importation
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 7 —Copyright Office
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 8 —Proceedings by Copyright Royalty Judges
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 9 —Protection of Semiconductor Chip Products
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 10 —Digital Audio Recording Devices and Media
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 11 —Sound Recordings and Music Videos
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 12 —Copyright Protection and Management Systems
- 17 U.S.C. chapter 13 —Protection of Original Designs
- U.S. Code Title 17 via United States Copyright Office
- U.S. Code Title 17 via United States House of Representatives
- U.S. Code Title 17, via United States Government Printing Office
- U.S. Code Title 17, via Cornell University
- United States Code. Office of the Law Revision Counsel.
- Circular 1a, United States Copyright Office: A Brief Introduction and History. U.S. Copyright Office. Retrieved on 31 July 2014.