Photo taken of damage from a massive explosion near Ulysses S. Grant's headquarters at City Point on August 9, 1864. A barge blew up killing about 70 men and wounding 130 while destroying warehouses and wharf.
Photographed from angle where Union artillery fired upon Fort Pulaski.
Inside look at the damage of the breached casemate at Fort Pulaski.
Confederate horses lay dead and artillery caissons destroyed on Antietam battlefield
The stacks of the CSS Virginia II (right) and the wheels of the CSS Jamestown (center) are visible in the James River. They were sunk on the evening of April 2, 1865 with Abraham Lincoln listening to the action as a guest on board the USS Malvern just downstream.
The wheels of the CSS Jamestown are visible in the James River. It sank due to mortar fire on the evening of April 2, 1865 with Abraham Lincoln listening to the action as a guest on board the USS Malvern just downstream.
After the Confederates abandoned Morris Island on Sept. 7, 1863, the Union occupied Battery Gregg (also known as the "Cummings Point Battery") pictured here and referred to it as "Battery Chatfield"
The locomotive, "General Haupt" is being used for work detail while its namesake, Union General Herman Haupt, stands on the hill to the right inspecting railway work near Bull Run in 1863.
Inside Confederate Battery Gregg on Morris Island after Union troops have occupied it in the Siege of Fort Sumter, (September 7, 1863)
Two Parrott rifles inside Union Battery Stevens on Morris Island began firing upon Confederate fortifications on August 19, 1863 during the Siege of Fort Sumter. Battery Stevens was constructed between July 27 and August 17 with the work being done at night to avoid exposure to Confederate fire.
Inside Fort Pulaski in April 1862 after its surrender. Confederates had leaned timbers along the interior of the walls and then piled earth upon them to form a continuous makeshift bombproof.
Inside Confederate Fort Johnson, where according to P.G.T. Beauregard's report, the first shot of the war originated on his order at 4:30 am, April 12, 1861. It was an exploding overhead burst fired over Fort Sumter which served as a signal to the remaining Confederate fortifications and batteries to open fire and commence with the Bombardment of Fort Sumter.
Federal gunboats have moved up the James River above Dutch Gap Canal near Fort Brady after the Confederates abandoned the shore batteries and evacuated Richmond following the Siege of Petersburg (early April 1865)
The Union locomotive, "Fred Leach", is photographed on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad after it escaped from Confederates on August 1, 1863 near Union Mills. Holes in the smokestack from Confederate shot are visible.
A tripod signal is being used by Union army engineers for surveying and map-making at Pulpit Rock on Lookout Mountain. p. 251.
Confederate Quaker gun abandoned at Centreville in 1862. p. 203.
Union soldiers stand over their "capture" of Confederate Quaker guns at Manassas in 1861. p. 203.
The Union locomotive "General Dix" and its tender are landing at City Point in 1864. The engine weighed 59,000 lbs. and cost $9500. For the fiscal year ending in 1865, the General Dix logged 16,776 miles at an operational cost of $6136.62. p. 289.
The 8 inch, 200 pdr Parrott rifle known as "The Swamp Angel" ruptured on its 36th discharge throwing the barrel onto the earthworks, August 23 1863. The first sixteen charges were incendiary rounds filled with "Greek fire" and fired into the heart of downtown Charleston. p. 116.
Union sappers behind the flying sap at the fifth and last parallel at the siege of Battery Wagner, Morris Island on September 6, 1863. This sap-roller will take them to the base of Battery Wagner. p. 117.
Barrels and gabions are used by the Union soldiers in Fort Sedgwick to strengthen chimneys necessary to heat the bomb-proof burrows underneath. Confederate sharpshooters fired into "Fort Hell" during the Siege of Petersburg in 1864-65. p. 217.
The Western Corps of Engineers constructed this draw bridge over the Tennessee River after the battles at Chattanooga p. 253.