I am a new employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, where I work as product manager for editor engagement. My role is to develop new tools to help readers participate more on WIkipedia, and become editors over time. I am also working on features that improve the user experience for all editors, with a specific focus on improving article quality.
I am also founder of NewsTrust.net, a nonprofit social news network promoting quality journalism. My previous ventures include: Handtap, a wireless content service for mobile phones; shockwave.com, a web entertainment site at Macromedia; Apple Computer's Multimedia Lab, a new media R&D group; and Videowest, a producer of rock journalism for ABC, MTV and public TV. I also produced "Hackers" (a documentary about the heroes of the computer revolution), earned four patents for my interactive TV work at Apple, and was recently elected an Ashoka Fellow for my work as social entrepreneur. For more info, see my online bio.
I am new to Wikipedia, and am really excited about learning from you all. I look forward to collaborating with you and other Wikipedians to help engage readers to participate thoughtfully on Wikipedia. Please be patient with us, as good products take time to develop. With that in mind, I highly recommend reading this fine Wikipedia essay.
Here are some of the first projects I am working on -- I will expand this list as I take on more assignments:
- Multimedia Features - new multimedia tools for MediaWiki sites
- Article Feedback Tool - a new way to contribute to Wikipedia (my main project right now)
- New Editor Engagement - a master project covering a variety of editor engagement tools
- New Article Creation - a modified workflow for article creation
- New Page Triage - a tool to make the process of New Page Patrol better